Jensen: Education about new technology falling short of college level expectations

Computer

Computer

Derek Jensen

Sitting in a class listening to an professor try and explain how new and future technologies will impact my field of study or interests bores me. It not only bores me, but other students as well, from the observation of “face palms” and negative discussions that happen outside class.

An experience I’ll never forget is talking to others in my class once the semester ended about how little I learned and how the potential to learn more was always there. I might not be your average student, as I stay up to date on new technologies that can shape our societies, but I do feel the teachings should be catered more toward someone of my intelligence.

The technologies I’m referring to would deal with matters of the Web, social networking, programming, etc., and all majors and fields of study are and most likely will be affected by these technologies.

Yes, I believe all students should read or watch, on their own time, about new and future technologies related to our field of study in preparation to lead our society. But, the professors at Iowa State University of Science and Technology should help with the leadership and discovery through their teachings as well.

What I want more than anything is to be intrigued and educated with new and future technology at a college level. I want to be able to go to my next employer and show them how my knowledge and understanding of these new technologies will affect the game in the business. Again, I cannot stress how important the understanding of future technology can be on any and every area of focus in our society.

One major reason I have chosen college over starting my own business, working for the family business, staying with one of my first jobs, or just simply not getting any higher degree than a high school diploma is to be educated, prepared and a few steps farther ahead than if I didn’t attend college.

I don’t say this out of me wanting to be pleased. I say this in the best interest of the direction for learning about how and why new technology can be utilized in certain fields for the enhancement of societies all over the world. This is what Iowa State University has been known for in the past and needs to be known for looking into the future.

Sure, the problem might lie in many students not being well-educated on the general understandings of these many technologies, but that is what Wikipedia, the news, libraries, friends and, quite simply, doing a Google search are for. Not everyone going into a class is on the same level of understanding. If a student feels so behind they have to either adjust and adapt at a fast rate, or take some time for outside learning, they should do so. I know I should spend time for preparation if I am not fully ready for a certain class discussion. My adviser and other fellow students certainly would commend me on saying this.

The real problem, however, is that many of our professors are not, as they should be, on top of how those new or future technologies are affecting specific fields. I commend those who do try and get discussion going with critical thinking, but too many limit any potential for greater discussion and understanding.

Maybe professors need to be updated and do some critical thinking in their own spare time because I feel what is being taught to me currently is almost to the point of common sense.

For example, when I was in a class that was intended to study how the new technologies of the Web and mobile environments are affecting advertising, I instead spent a majority of the time re-learning about what blogs and social media are about. The proposed and appropriate course content regressed to a level that I’m arguing does not meet standard college education, especially at Iowa State. Did you know current students are pretty active on Facebook, mobile devices and blogs, and with the ways Google search helps us out in anyway we see fit? 

Further, each incoming class is going to have even more understanding about the basics of new technology, because they are taught that in early education.

To my professors: The basics of new technology might be of an early education level for you, but to us students, it’s mostly repeat, boredom and not fulfilling our college education. It’s time for adjustments in order to keep high the level of prestige in educating about new and future technology at a college level.