Workspace offers summer classes for aspiring crafters

Julia Ferrell

The Workspace in the Memorial Union is a multimedia art studio open to all members of the community, students and non-students alike. In addition to open space hours for individuals to work on their own projects, the Workspace offers a great number and variety of classes during the summer. Classes in photography, fibercraft, jewelry-making and many more are available.

Beginning 7 p.m. June 14, Anastasia Whited will teach a class in black-and-white photography. It will teach all aspects of the art, from camera use and exposure to darkroom skills for the beginner. Cost is $73 for ISU students and $83 to the public. Be sure to bring your own 35mm SLR camera to the first class.

On June 28 and July 5 from 7 to 9 p.m., Sarah Dougherty will show students how to turn old t-shirts and scraps of fabric into new bracelets and handbags in her class Up-cycled Accessories. Students should bring in about five t-shirts to work with, and all other materials are provided. Cost is $18 for ISU students and $28 for the public.

For only a one-day commitment, you can learn to make chain mail jewelry on Saturday June 18 from 1 to 4 p.m. Gail Ferlazzo teaches students to make a necklace, bracelet and earrings with a simple chain maille weave in the class Chain Maille [sic]: Red Shaggy Loops. Students may bring magnifying glasses to help them see details more easily and aide them in weaving.

For the full class schedule, see their website.

Class sizes are limited, so register early to ensure your place in the class.

You can register for a class in one of three ways:

1. Mail a registration form with payment to the Workspace.

2. Call 294-0970 and use a credit card or CyCash over the phone during open hours.

3. Stop by the Workspace and register with cash, check, credit card or CyCash.

Summer Hours:

Mondays – Thursdays: 3 – 10 p.m.

Saturdays & Sundays: 1 – 4 p.m.