Rho Gammas strong leaders for recruitment

Alayna Flor

During the greek recruitment process there are the chapter members recruiting and the individuals being recruited. But an important group exists to specifically guide those being recruited — a group disaffiliated with their own chapters officially known as Rho Gammas.

Rho Gammas are the counselors during the recruitment process. They are individuals that are trained to assist potential new members of both fraternities and sororities in making their decisions.

“Primary roles as a Rho Gamma are to lead your group of potential new members you are assigned to around the greek community,” said Lucas Ledger, junior in mechanical engineering and member of Sigma Pi fraternity. As a Rho Gamma, you are the first and last impression of what the greek community at Iowa State has to offer.”

Bearing such a responsibility requires heavy training, Ledger said. And Ledger is no stranger to the experience — he served as a Rho Gamma.

“Training for Rho Gammas was fairly straight forward,” he said. “We had to memorize all of the rules and regulations for Greek Getaway, what can and can’t be done, things against the rules, and learn exactly how to be disaffiliated. Not telling any member what chapter you are a part of, not to bad mouth any other chapters, and to give a great first impression to the recruits.”

The experience may be different when Rho Gammas originate from fraternities compared to sororities.

Being in a fraternity, Greek Getaway is the prime time for fraternities to recruit. Rho Gammas remain disaffiliated, and during any recruitment period, stay in another fraternity house with their given recruitment group.

“Male Rho Gammas are disaffiliated for two reasons,” Ledger said. “One being to make sure that all the rules are followed in the chapter they’re staying in; and two they show the potential new members around the greek community and giving them the opportunity to decide what house they like.”

Female Rho Gammas are seen the most during formal recruitment in the fall, and go through more intensive training for an entire semester to make sure they are prepared for all kinds of situations.

“I make sure that they get to all of their parties in time, help line them up, but mostly I help them with their decisions by listening,” said Emma Berglund, sophomore in elementary education. “A huge part of being a Rho Gamma is sitting there and listening to them talk things out about all of the different houses and having them make their own decisions.”

Berglund is a current Rho Gamma, and attends two meetings each week with the 30 women selected as Rho Gammas for recruitment.

Differentiating from Greek Getaway, the Rho Gammas stay in a fraternity house formal recruitment, and meet their recruitment groups of women periodically everyday. Rho gammas are the sources for all information about each chapter, Iowa State and anything else the potential new members are curious about.

“I have learned a lot about all of the other chapters on campus and that has been a lot of fun,” Berglund said. “I have also learned how to talk to a lot of people. It can be hard to make conversation with girls that are very shy or nervous about the Formal Recruitment experience but I have learned how to ask questions that help them open up and talk with me.”

The Interfraternity Council and the Collegiate Panhellenic Council provide training for the Rho Gammas. With recruitment teams for both councils, they serve as the resources for the Rho Gammas when any problems arise. They are also in charge of interviewing and selecting the best people to fill the Rho Gamma positions.

After all training is complete, then the Rho Gammas are sent out and learn right away that they are the greatest link between the potential new members and the chapters.

“A key lesson that I learned from being a Rho Gamma was going through tours of other houses, meeting these seniors in high school for the first time and that is that first impressions are everything,” Ledger said. “You only get one, and can tell immediately when potential new members are not enjoying themselves.”

Rho Gammas are able to take what they learn from potential new members and help improve the impressions the greek community makes on others, Ledger said. Being recognized as one of the top greek communities in the nation, it’s the continuous cycle of adding new members that keeps the greek community so strong. Rho Gammas have a large part in that, and helping everyone find a chapter that fits them best.

“The whole idea behind joining the greek community is to be a part of something that is bigger than yourself,” Ledger said. “Rho gammas give seniors in high school the very first impression of Iowa state greek life, and can be the deciding factor of whether or not someone goes greek or even chooses to go to Iowa State. Recruitment is the way the greek community prospers and rho gammas make sure that that continues.”