Dub H presents ‘Light Up The Night’ on Saturday

Members of Dub H practice during a rehearsal for their Saturday performance “Light Up The Night” on Wednesday, April 20, at Forker Building.

John Lonsdale

With 20 dances, 20 choreographers and nearly 500 members from every college on campus, Dub H, the hip-hop dance club, will present its show, “Light Up The Night,” on Saturday.

Different from shows past, the club wanted to bring the dances and theme back to the hip hop roots that so heavily permeated the shows nearly a decade ago when the club was formed.

Haley Wakefield, senior in hotel, restaurant and institution management and senior of the club, has been dancing in Dub H for four years.

“There is not a bad dance in this set,” Wakefield said. “We wanted to bring it back to that sort of ‘Fame,’ that type of flashy, ‘We’re here, we want you to pay attention to us, we’re gonna light up the night.'”

Although she has been a dancer since the age of 4, Wakefield had never danced hip hop until she came to Iowa State and joined Dub H. She became a part of the club and started dancing in the shows.

Wakefield promised a flaming radio backdrop and a “pretty intense” show and said the dances are family-friendly and an overall good time.

Keesha Wormely is in her fifth semester in Dub H as a choreographer and loves having the chance to see dancers live out what she saw in her head.

Wormely, who choreographed two of the dances in the show, said it’s not just Saturday that will be good.

“I think it’s every show that we have,” she said. “You’re going to get the best of everything. Everybody’s styles are so different that it will keep the crowd interested and keep the crowd going through the show. Everybody can expect great things and great performances and it gets better every semester.”

Another choreographer, Demetrius Scott, said Saturday’s show is the biggest of the year for the club.

“It’s kinda like the Super Bowl of the semester for us,” Scott said. “It’s the big dance everybody’s waiting for.”

Steven Flagg is a choreographer for Dub H and in his 12th semester in the club.

Choreographing nearly 20 dances during his Dub H career, Flagg is choreographing three for this weekend’s show.

“What I find special about Saturday’s show is that this is where all the hard work that I have put in over the semester pays off,”  Flagg said. “It’s an awesome feeling to see what started out as thoughts and ideas in my head transform into what people will be seeing this Saturday.”

Flagg said Dub H has become like a family to him.

“For some students, this club has changed lives for the better,” Flagg said. “And it gives everyone that joins an opportunity to branch out and push themselves to try things they normally may never have tried.

“With Dub H, it’s like a family because you feel like you belong to something and everyone supports and cares for one another. Dub H for life.”