Regents meet March 23 to consider proposed finances

Paige Godden

The Iowa Board of Regents will consider the approval of the proposed conditional tuition and mandatory fees for fiscal year 2011-12 at its meeting Wednesday.

ISU undergraduate students who are residents of Iowa are looking at a 5 percent increase in base tuition and a 20.4 percent increase in mandatory fees, which makes the total base tuition and all mandatory fees increase 7 percent.

If passed, resident students will see a change in total tuition from $6,996.70 this year to $7,485.60 next year.

The estimated change for the cost of attendance for undergraduate resident students for 2011-12 is $19,658.50, an increase of $704.90.

Undergraduate non-resident students may see an increase of 3.5 percent in base tuition and a 20.4 percent increase in mandatory fees, which would total a 4.3 percent increase for base tuition and all mandatory fees.

Non-resident students would have a $794.90 increase in tuition and fees.

The proposed increase for undergraduate resident students at the University of Iowa is 4.7 percent, and for the University of Northern Iowa the proposed change is 4.9 percent.

The Regents will also discuss a request to increase parking costs.

According to the proposal, Iowa State’s parking system as of January 1 has an outstanding bond indebtedness that totals more than $4.2 million.

The proposal calls for a $3 increase for commuter and residence hall parking, raising permits from $108 to $111.

The proposal would also raise general staff parking from $128 to $132.

Iowa State requested that the board consider the approval of the Cyclone Sports Complex.

The Regents have already given permission to start the design process and will now acknowledge the final submission of the project and the final budget of $12,961,940.

The proposal takes into consideration two neighborhood meetings which took place during the design process.

“As part of the evaluation process, the university held two widely-attended community and neighborhood meetings … Attendees at the first meeting raised a number of neighborhood concerns including storm water management, lighting, noise, fencing, public access to the green space, parking and traffic and the appropriateness of this site,” according to the proposal.

The proposal goes on to say, “The university considered all of those concerns and made modifications to the plan to move the complex further south on the East of Towers site. The university also considered alternative locations, including the redevelopment of the Southwest Athletic Complex where the track and softball fields are currently located.”

The university would lose the existing baseball field and would not have as many playing fields for intramural and sports club programs including soccer, lacrosse, rugby and cricket, according to the proposal.

Iowa State is also requesting a $1 million increase to purchase a new scoreboard for Jack Trice Stadium.

In an October meeting, the Board approved a request for the purchase of a scoreboard.

The scoreboard was originally thought to cost $4 million, but the price is now up to $5 million primarily due to “the projected costs to erect the structure, which will support the new video and sound system above the Richard O. Jacobson Building.”

The Board will vote on a request to award Robert Shelton an honorary doctor of science degree at Iowa State.

“Iowa State University wishes to recognize Dr. Shelton for his pioneering work in superconductivity and magnetism and for his outstanding scientific and academic leadership in major administrative positions at several universities, including as president of the University of Arizona,” according to the request.

The meeting will take place at 8:30 a.m. Wednesday in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union.