GSB College of Engineering senator candidates

Collin Bartels, junior in computer engineering, is running for GSB engineering senator.

Whitney Sager

Name: Collin Bartels

Major: junior in computer engineering

What’s important:

• Increasing financial literacy to decrease student debt — “Iowa State should not be at the top of the list of highest student debt colleges,” Bartels said.
  • Keeping local businesses in Campustown and maintaining student focus

What can we do about the budget cuts:

• Attend Lobbying Day on Monday to let legislators know why our budgets should not be cut.

Name: Austin Christner

Major: sophomore in chemical engineering

What’s important:

• Improving on-campus parking
  • Stricter rules to be followed during Dead Week
  • Maintaining student focus in Campustown — “I will stay open-minded to what students want and will always be seeking to hear students’ thoughts and opinions regarding the change so I can best represent them,” Christner said.
  • Increase financial literacy on campus to combat student debt

What can we do about the budget cuts:

• Voice the opinions of students through GSB

Name: Scott Connell

Major: junior in computer engineering and French

What’s important:

• Making sure Campustown remains student-focused and have entertainment options for students under 21 years of age — “We need to ensure that local businesses are not kicked out and that students’ voices are heard,” Connell said.
  • Representing students through GSB

What can we do about the budget cuts:

• Be in constant contact with the legislature to let them know what students think about the budget cuts and increasing tuition costs.

Name: Jordan Hutchens

Major: junior in construction engineering

What’s important:

• Improving interactions between GSB and campus clubs and organizations — “I don’t think GSB gets out there enough,” Hutchens said. “There’s a lot of students who don’t know what GSB does.”
  • Collaboration between GSB and LANE4 concerning Campustown renovations, keeping the plans student-focused — “It’s important to have places for adults and alumni to go to, but we have to remember the main demographic of this area.”
  • Implementing a Dead Week policy

What can we do about the budget cuts:

• Increase student-involvement in lobbying the legislature on topics involving budget cuts and tuition increases — “We need to bring more attention to those issues,” Hutchens said.

Name: Rajin Olson

Major: senior in civil engineering

What’s important:

• Making sure Campustown remains student-focused — “As a representative of the student body, it should be, and it is my goal to place their opinions first,” Olson said.
  • Implementing a policy that requires professors to update grades throughout the course of the semester so students can track their progress in their classes

What can we do about the budget cuts:

• Lobby the legislature to halt budget cuts and tuition increases — “We can talk about it as much as we want on campus, but if we don’t take it to the legislature, we won’t get far,” Olson said.