GSB to finalize regular allocations

Whitney Sager

The regular allocations process will be finalized at the Government of the Student Body meeting Wednesday night.

As of Tuesday, the regular allocations account for fiscal year 2011-2012 was set at $1,606,392.77.

Anthony Maly, finance director and senior in political science, said this amount is up slightly from last year, when around $1.4 million was given out during regular allocations. The increase is due to increased student fees.

Nearly 150 student organizations requested budgets for the next fiscal year, a larger number of organizations than last year. With the increase in budget requests, the finance committee had to trim some of the organizations’ requests in order to be within their budget.

“We were about $360,000 over what we could give out,” Maly said.

Organizations whose budgets were cut had the chance to request the GSB reconsider their budgets during last week’s meeting.

Of the 10 student organizations that requested reconsideration from the GSB, only five remain — Team PrISUm, Ethos, Freshmen Council, ISU Robotics and the GSB — who are waiting to find out what their finalized budgets will be for fiscal year 2011-2012.

The budgets for those organizations were sent back to the GSB Finance Committee for further consideration after last week’s meeting. In most cases, those student organizations felt they needed more money than was originally proposed to be allocated to them, or they wanted to have funding shifted around within their budget to make better use of the money they were allocated for the next fiscal year.

GSB will determine the final amount those organizations are allocated at Wednesday’s meeting.

Other items on the agenda include several bills from organizations that have requested funding from GSB:

• Funding the South Sudanese Student Association Night

• Supporting recycling in the Memorial Union

• Supporting the Collegiate Housing and Infrastructure Act

Wednesday’s meeting marks the end of the current Senate’s term. The newly elected Senate will officially take over Monday.

The meeting will take place at 7 p.m. in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union.