Cyclones break through in overtime

Students+in+Cyclone+Alley+gets+excited+at+the+end+of+regulation.+The+Cyclones+defeated+the+Longhorns+66-57+in+overtime.+

Photo: Bryan Langfeldt/Iowa State Daily

Students in Cyclone Alley gets excited at the end of regulation. The Cyclones defeated the Longhorns 66-57 in overtime.

Kelsey Jacobs

“Big Monday” was indeed a big day for No. 20 Iowa State.

The Cyclones (19-8, 7-6 Big 12) broke the NCAA record for most consecutive games with a three-pointer made during their 66-57 overtime win against Texas. The win also marked the 300th win for the team at Hilton Coliseum.

Senior Kelsey Bolte, who is known for her prowess behind the arc, broke the three-pointer record just 1:38 into the first half. The Texas (17-10, 6-7) defense kept her to just those three points in the first half, and put plenty of pressure on the rest of the ISU offense as well.

After the record was broken, Iowa State kept the tempo at a furious pace the first half, leading to troubles keeping track of the ball. The Longhorns matched the Cyclones point-for-point, and Iowa State ended the half up only 30-29. Sophomore Chelsea Poppens’ 10 points and six rebounds led the team at halftime.

Poppens continued to lead the Cyclones in the second half, scoring a career-high 23 points despite the tough Longhorn defense. The sophomore was clutch for the Cyclones, grabbing 11 rebounds and drilling two free throws with 21.2 seconds left in the game to put the Cyclones up two.

After Poppens’ free-throws, Longhorn Anne Hartung made a layup to tie it up, and a missed jumper by Bolte sent the game into overtime.

The back-and-forth pace of the game continued into overtime until the Cyclones took control when a three-pointer by Bolte locked in the win. The senior had only five other points during the game to finish with eight, well below her season average of 17.9 points per game.

The Cyclones will next take on Kansas State in Manhattan, Kan. on Saturday at 7 p.m.