Swimming, diving look for positives out of Missouri meet

Photo: Tim Reuter/Iowa State Dai

Sophomore Elena Carvell competes in the 100-yard butterfly event during the swim meet on Saturday, Oct. 30. Carvell took first place in the event with a time of 58.16.

Nate Ryan

The ISU swimming and diving team fell to No. 25 Missouri this weekend in Columbus, Mo. The Cyclones finished with a season-low 98 team points. The Tigers finished the meet with 200 team points.

“Some of our women swam really well,” said coach Duane Sorenson. “Then, we had a number that just did not put it together.”

Jenny Vondenkamp, senior from Elk River, Minn., was one swimmer who stood out for the Cyclones.

“She was really focused on racing her competition as well as racing the clock,” Sorenson said. “We’re very pleased that she had that senior leadership.”

Vondenkamp’s mentality was to just get in and compete. She said not having a meet since early December and swimming in front of her family helped her get excited.

“I just had a good time,” Vondenkamp said. “I just didn’t think about the technical things, and I just had fun and relaxed.”

Vondenkamp’s experience in conference meets also helped her prepare for the intensity of a Big 12 meet. 

“They are a lot more intense,” Vondenkamp said. “I’ve learned how to control myself.”

On the diving side the Cyclones were up against brutal competition.

“The Missouri divers are just phenomenal,” said diving coach Jeff Warrick. 

Missouri returned two divers from last season’s NCAA championships.

“Their freshmen are even better,” Warrick said. 

Sarah Nelson’s name has been brought up many times when talking about the Cyclone diving team. Warrick said the junior’s success is a result of her time in the program.

“She came in a very inexperienced diver [as a freshman],” Warrick said. “She’s a hard worker, she listens well and she always puts forth her best effort.”

The diving team also saw senior Abby Christensen step up. Warrick said it is important for Christensen to be performing at a high level for the team. 

“There was one day last week where she got upset,” Warrick said. “She dove better that day.”

The motivation she used last week in practice carried through the meet.

“It wasn’t physically what she’s doing, but more mentally what she’s doing,” Warrick said.

The Cyclones are back in the pool Saturday for their final home meet of the season. They host Nebraska at 1 p.m. in Beyer Hall.