Board of Regents considers approval of education center

Paige Godden

The Board of Regents will be considering approval of a Swine Medicine Education Center in the College of Veterinary Medicine at its telephonic meeting Thursday.

“The proposed center will focus on clinical education in modern swine production medicine … creation of the center requires Board of Regents approval … because the center will eventually require an annual institutional commitment of at least $250,000,” according to the proposal.

The request addresses the Board of Regents’ strategic plan priorities to provide educational excellence and impact and economic development and vitality, according to the proposal.

“The academic program offered through the proposed center will consist of a comprehensive series of swine production medicine educational modules and hands-on experiences covering all segments of the pork production chain,” according to the proposal. “It will be the only North American location for veterinary students to access academic programs in swine production medicine specifically designed for the development of the next generation of swine-focused veterinary clinicians and general food animal clinicians.”

The Regents will consider approval of the appointment of a new Veterinary Medicine dean.

Lisa K. Nolan, professor of veterinary microbiology and preventive medicine, could be appointed as dean, effective Jan. 15, at an annual salary of $250,000.

Nolan has a doctorate in veterinary medicine and a master’s degree and doctorate in medical microbiology from the University of Georgia.

Nolan would be replacing professor and dean John Thomson. He is retiring as dean Jan. 14.

The board will also consider the approval of the report to the Iowa General Assembly regarding the study of opportunities for recruiting racial and ethnic minority teachers and to submit the report by Jan. 10.

The report will include “how to recruit racial and ethnic minority high school students interested in post-secondary teacher preparation programs into attending Iowa college or university teacher preparatory program; and strategies to recruit racial and ethnic minority teachers to continue their careers as school administrators in Iowa.”

The Regents compiled survey data from school leaders in Iowa and when asked to identify issues that may affect racial and ethnic minority teachers from staying in the profession, 66.8 percent said the major issues were the lack of cultural and support groups.

When experienced teachers were asked what they thought would attract racial and ethnic minorities to enroll in teacher preparation programs in Iowa, 64 percent said a sense of community and belonging.

The board received the report on crime statistics from the three universities for the quarter that ended Sept. 30.

Iowa State’s total number of offenses went up from quarter two from 503 to 582. The number of offenses went down from last year during this quarter, which had a total of 656 offenses.

The number of charges increased from 285 to 395, and the number of people arrested increased from 30 to 49.

The University of Iowa reported the highest number of offenses with 2,109 in the year to date.

The board is also considering the approval of the request by Regent universities for faculty professional development assignments for the 2012 fiscal year.

Expected budget replacement costs for faculty who are on leave was $107,747 in 2011 and is projected to be $125,000 for 2012.

The telephonic meeting will be from 2 to 3:30 p.m. Thursday.

Audio live streaming will be available at the Board of Regent’s website, www.regents.iowa.gov