Student teachers to travel to Indonesia

Molly Halferty

In March of the spring 2011 semester, four students in the College of Human Sciences will travel to Indonesia to student teach as a part of a new partnership between Iowa State and the Sampoerna School of Education in Jakarta. They will be teaching at the Palembang Academy, a high school academy, in South Sumatra.

The school is unique in that it enrolls underprivileged children and is strictly an English-speaking school.

“For these children to be selected to this school is an honor, but more than an honor, a life changing experience,” said David Whaley, associate dean of teacher education.

Whaley has been involved in building the relationship between the Sampoerna School of Education and Iowa State, along with Hina Patel, who selected the site for the student teachers.

“[The school is] trying to provide that firm foundation to develop the students into leaders with a heart and mind,” Patel said.

Nick Miller, senior in history, will be student teaching world history. Miller learned about this trip through the international student teaching fair. He originally thought of going to New Zealand, but saw a developing country, such as Indonesia, as a good resume builder. Miller has travelled in Europe, Africa and Central America previously.

“I’m really interested in learning about Southeast Asian culture,” Miller said. “With history, it’s important to know about other countries instead of having an ethnocentric view of the world.”

“My primary goal is to learn something from them that I wouldn’t otherwise learn in Ames, Iowa or the United States. I’m expecting to find myself out of my element,” Miller said, “If you’re too comfortable for too long you’re not really learning about yourself or the world around you.”

Joe Trpkosh, senior in music, will be student teaching vocal music. Trpkosh wanted to go abroad to Rome or the Czech Republic, but saw Indonesia as an opportunity as well. This program was also specifically looking for someone with a choral background.

“[This program] is an awesome opportunity, since it’s a new program, we’ll be getting to build those relationships,” Trpkosh said.

“I’m most excited about teaching over there. Working with students who aren’t native English speakers will be a big challenge,” Trpkosh said.

Rebecca Fillbach, senior in mathematics, will be student teaching mathematics. Indonesia wasn’t Fillbach’s first choice but she is still excited for the experience.

“I’m really excited because it is so different than other sites and what I know. I’ll never have another opportunity to visit Southeast Asia,” Fillbach said.

Fillbach hopes to be able to see what else is on the island as well.

“I want to learn about their culture. I want to learn about the students and the country.”

Elisabeth Godfrey, senior in elementary education, will be student teaching English. Godfrey has always known that she wanted to student teach abroad.

“One of the big reasons why I came to Iowa State was because of the student teaching abroad program, so I knew that I wanted to go somewhere,” Godfrey said.

At first the program was only for secondary education majors, and Godfrey wouldn’t have been able to participate since she is an elementary education major, but she worked with faculty and staff and made it possible. Godfrey will be teaching English to the school’s youngest students, who are 12 and 13 years old.

Godfrey admits not knowing much about Indonesia.

“I don’t know what to think about it, but I am very, very excited about it.”

“I’m very excited to interact with the students. Children are children no matter where they’re from, but different cultures show you more about their lives,” Godfrey said.

Godfrey treasures this experience because this school only accepts the children who are truly in need, with the lowest incomes in the area.

“Education is so valuable; it’s their way to better their circumstances and it’s amazing to see that. These kids are desperate for education,” Godfrey said.