GSB, Ames City Council discuss student issues

Kayla Schantz

The Government of the Student Body raised student concerns and discussed university-related issues in a joint session with the Ames City Council on Wednesday, Nov. 3 at the Memorial Union.

One of the main topics addressed was the Campustown redevelopments. Steve Schainker, city manager, updated GSB with the recent progress with LANE4 Property Group, the development company in charge of the project.

Schainker said the group is “really in the development stages right now,” and looking into cost estimates, talking to property owners and talking to future users.

“The goal of City Council is not to wipe out student activity in Campustown,” Schainker said. He said the council wants to attract all people to the area, but it is going to be difficult to keep everyone in the Ames community happy with the decisions.

City Council member Matthew Goodman said, “Big change can bring negative consequences, but I think people are more long-term viewing than that.”

Jeremy Davis, City Council member, said that a main priority is “keeping the student nightlife and entertainment,” something that has been a concern in the renovations.

“We don’t want to change too much the vibrant feel of the student life,” said Jami Larson, City Council member. “We would like to add more than just the bar scene to the Campustown at night.”

Larson said older adults want entertainment in the area as well, and the city is hoping to construct places to fit their needs, such as restaurants where parents of students can go to eat after football games.

Alderman Riad Mahayni said the goal is to attract people during the day.

“What we’re looking for is a mixed land usage,” Mahayni said. “A center than can operate almost 24 hours a day.”

Another issue discussed was “DZ triangle,” which is a small land area in the middle of the Greek community, that has been used for couch burning and vandalism in the past.

“It’s just a general eye-sore,” said Matt England, senior in aerospace engineering and the ex-officio student representative for the City Council.

He said that a task force has been assembled through the Student Affairs Commission that is looking to work with the Student Society of Landscape Architecture to install something in that area that would not only brighten up the place, but stop vandalism.

“We’re hoping to get students actually involved with the actual building,” England said. He said they will eventually take it to City Council to get it approved and get it under construction.”

Jared Knight, sophomore in political science and Inter-Residence Hall Association senator for GSB, asked the council about the Lot 60 space issue.

“Even though its going to be able to service a lot of automobiles, the actual look of the facility isn’t going to be as large as you would think,” said Alderman Peter Orazem. “It will not look out of line with the rest of the buildings in the area.”

Orazem also said the intent is to also include buses to Des Moines and Chicago, so “that should be a lot more convenient for people trying to get in and out of the city.”

Schainker said a concern that has been raised by students is that the parking spaces now there will be replaced.

“The intent is to reserve 230 spaces, which is how many there are now,” Schainker said. However, he said there will be fees involved for students who chose to park in those spots, although it is unclear how much the charges will be.

Another issue brought up in the meeting was traffic congestion at Campustown intersections. Orazem informed GSB that there is a city traffic engineer whose job is to phase the traffic signals and have them timed.

Goodman added that part of the problem is the left-turning lanes that hold up traffic in the intersections. Mahayni said, “This is a science, it doesn’t just happen.”

Other topics discussed included snow removal, activities for students under the age of 21 and flood recovery efforts.