Ames, ISU police team up to present pedestrians with extended safety

Kaitlin York

Ames Police Department and ISU police team up to re-educate, re-enforce and encourage pedestrians to be safe when crossing streets Friday.

From around 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. ISU students will find police officers riding bikes and cruising on Segways at the Lincoln Way intersections between Beach and Sheldon.

“Recent traffic fatalities have made it even more important for pedestrians and drivers to be aware of each other, especially around congested traffic,” said Chuck Cychosz, Ames police chief.

The project comes after ISU student Jonathan Brown died of injuries sustained while being struck by a car, and another car-pedestrian collision Tuesday.

At the intersection of Lincoln Way and Beach Avenue on Tuesday Katherine Bazzell, freshman in pre-business, was hit by a red Chevy pick-up truck driven by Lucas Wendl, sophomore in agricultural business.

Bazzell was walking on the crosswalk with another ISU friend when she was talking and looking toward a nearby CyRide bus. Out of the corner of her eye she noticed another pedestrian pointing in her direction. When she turned her head, it was already too late to feel any emotion.

“I turned my head and all of a sudden the grill of this truck was in my face,” Bazzell said. “Luckily I’m not injured other than a sore leg and a few bruises.”

Wendl had a green light, not a green arrow. His vehicle wasn’t accelerated to a speed high enough to cause major injuries.

During the event Friday, police officers will educate individuals how to decrease the likelihood of vehicle and pedestrian accidents, according to an Ames Police Department news release. To ensure safety, both the pedestrian and the drivers need to be aware of each other, respect each other and obey the law.

“It’s important for motorists and pedestrians to be aware of their surroundings, especially at peak hours such as class changing times,” said Jerry Stewart, ISU police chief.

Ames police officers Tom Shelton and Josh Hale are the supervisors for the project.

“The Segways and bikes will allow officers to be arrive to the scene on-hand rather than having to pull over and get out of their vehicles,” Shelton said. “Staff levels will remain the same but the patrolling will be in a different manner.”

There have been 18 accidents reported on weekend days — Saturday or Sunday — since Oct. 2, according to Ames police.