NASA chief technologist visits Iowa State

Ben Theobald

Robert Braun, NASA chief technologist, spoke Wednesday at the Alliant Energy-Lee Liu Auditorium in Howe Hall about the future of human space travel and new technologies for NASA.

“I get a lot of energy, and I thrive on being on university campuses,” Braun said.

Braun met with students working on a number of hands-on engineering and design activities at the aerospace engineering school, as well as many other schools.

“It was very impressive to see some of the work being done here on campus by students,” Braun said.

Braun told students that there is a place in aerospace, more specifically NASA, for them in the future. He encouraged students to follow their dream, whether it’s working on a low-emissions aircraft or sending humans to Mars, and to let it take you wherever it takes you.

“It’s very hard to predict your future 5 or 10 years from now,” Braun said. “If you stay focused on what you’re passionate about, I guarantee it will work out.”

Braun became the chief technologist this year, and is the only chief technologist for NASA in the past decade. In that time, NASA’s attention to research and technology fell, along with their engagement on university campuses.

Braun discussed the changes the Obama administration has made to NASA, including increases to its budget.

“An increase in the budget means more jobs that are NASA-focused and more university research,” Braun said.

The national investment in NASA is $100 billion during five years. The top line increase is $6 billion during five years.

Braun said there has been talk of a commercial industry to take over human space flight.

“It can actually be all of us doing human space flight,” Braun said. “It doesn’t have to be government only.”

Braun ended his lecture emphasizing the benefits the human space program holds.

“These investments are important because I’ve seen them pay off in my short career,” Braun said. “I know they can pay off in your career.”

The federal government cares about research, technology and innovation, Braun said. It believes investments in research and technology will stimulate the economy, build a high-tech work force to create jobs, create global economic competitiveness for our nation and create new businesses and industries as this nation moves forward in a global marketplace, Braun said.