Memorial Union main topic of meeting

Paige Godden

The Memorial Union is looking to enlist an army of student organizations looking for fundraising opportunities, said Gail Ferlazzo, assistant director of the Memorial Union.

At the Government of the Student Body meeting Wednesday night, Ferlazzo said the Union has brought in 15 beverage recycling containers which have been placed around the Union.

Ferlazzo said student groups can watch over five or six of the containers for a month at a time and keep the money from the cans or bottles they redeem.

Student groups will soon be able to sign-up to volunteer at www.murecycling.iastate.edu.

Ferlazzo also mentioned a $55,000 project that will soon begin.

The four-seasons fountain needs repairs. The fountain’s water softening equipment has failed, causing calcification on the women’s faces.

The Union is looking at switching the fountain to deionized water, fixing the lights and repairing the rim and bottom of the fountain, which would cost $38,000.

George Micalone, director of the Student Activities Center, said there will be three more flat screen televisions installed in the Union.

Micalone said the televisions will be set on MTVU, which is college specific program. As a partner to MTVU the campus will be able to participate in contests, and they have several grant organizations.

Also during the meeting, the senate confirmed at-large members of the University Affairs Committee and Finance Committee.