LGBT Student Services undergoes upgrades

Adam Hayes

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Student Services has always had limited space and resources — at least it was that way since Brad Freihoefer was hired to coordinate the services and office.

Until now.

The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Student Services Center now maintains a new, updated library.

The process of converting the old library into the current center involved moving all of the belongings into a new room down the hall.

A door was removed, a wall was knocked out and general renovations took place to make more room for students. It took more than three-and-a-half weeks, prior to the school year starting, to complete the entire process.

“We wanted it to be a place where people felt comfortable,” Freihoefer said.

The new center features DVD and VHS players to watch material, a microwave, TV, chairs and a table and couch.

The new library features a collection of more than 400 books and 50 DVDs on issues about sexual orientation and gender identity that are available for students, according to the center’s website.

The new resources and space are an upgrade from the table, four chairs and bookshelves. Those walls are painted an off-white color, while the new center is painted in bright colors.

“When I walked in, I was like, ‘Whoa, this center is twice the size, and you can fit more people in here,'” said Ariel Jetty, sophomore in animal ecology. “I like the colors, too; it’s very welcoming.”

“[The new center is] a lot roomier,” said Nick York, freshman in mechanical engineering. “There was a definite need for an upgrade with the amount of people we have.”

Some of the items in the center were purchased using the budget the LGBT Student Services is allotted, but many of the items were donated — including some of the books, the couch, DVD and VHS players and TV.

“It shows that we’ve got some great faculty and staff, and past graduates and community members who care deeply that students have some great resources at Iowa State, and that’s pretty awesome,” Freihoefer said.

The new space for students is used for both meetings and as a hang-out spot for students.

Student Services want to provide a safe environment to allow conversations discussing important issues to take place. A safe community provides a means to find pride in one’s self, get involved and develop leadership skills, according to the center’s mission.

Any members of the university are welcome to go to the center if they want to learn more about sexual orientation and gender issues.

“We want students to know about the resources we offer, and I want students to know that I’m here, too,” Freihoefer said. “If they have concerns, issues, needs or whatever, they can always contact me.”