E-mail from the Department of Residence

Hello!

As you may have heard, Ames experienced unprecedented flooding over the past few days. However, this flooding had minimal impact on our apartment and residence hall buildings. As a result, we are very pleased to share that you can move into your campus home as scheduled.

With the current forecast and information available, there will be no changes to the already established move-in schedule. Official opening of Frederiksen Court and Schilletter and University Village Apartments begins at 9 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 14. Pre-approved early move-in for residence halls also begins at 9 a.m. on Aug. 14. Official opening for the residence halls starts at 8 a.m. on Tuesday, Aug. 17.

The one consequence of the flood that has impacted the entire city of Ames, including the residence halls and apartments, is a water main break. This break caused a drop in water pressure to showers and restrooms. The good news is that water pressure has been substantially restored allowing the use of showers and restrooms. However, the water is potentially unsafe for drinking. The city of Ames expects water to be safe for human consumption by early next week.

To address that problem, bottled water will be available at no cost at all hall desks for students moving in to the residence halls. This water will be available as long as the “boil alert” is in effect. It is suggested that students moving to campus over the next few days bring a case or two of water with them in addition to what is going to be available at the hall desks.

Students living in on-campus apartments have full kitchens and the ability to boil their own water. It is suggested they boil their water for three to five minutes before consumption.

Here are a few reminders for students living on or moving to campus while the “boil alert” is in effect and the water system is being repaired:

— Take short showers! All Ames residents are being asked to conserve water. The more people that can reduce their use of water, the quicker water service can be restored.

— Do not use tap water for drinking, brushing your teeth, washing dishes, preparing food or making ice unless it is boiled or use bottled water

— If you are boiling, be sure to bring it to a rolling boil for three to five minutes and then allow it to cool before consumption

For more information on the situation in Ames, please check www.cityofames.org or www.iastate.edu. For already established move-in information or other Department of Residence information, refer to www.housing.iastate.edu.

While it has been crazy the past few days, everything has come together to allow move-in to go on as planned! We are very much looking forward to welcoming you to your Cyclone home in the coming days! Safe travels!

Sincerely,

Peter. D. Englin, Ph.D.

Director of Residence

Iowa State University

Water delivery

Friday 8/13 delivery, Monday 8/16 Delivery (double Friday’s amount)

MWL Desk – 100 cases (2,400 bottles), 200 cases

BWR Desk – 75 cases (1,800 bottles), 150 cases

Oak-Elm Desk – 30 cases (720 bottles), 60 cases

Linden Desk – 30 cases (720 bottles), 60 cases

Friley Desk – 100 cases (2,400 bottles), 200 cases

W-W Desk – 30 cases (720 bottles), 60 cases

Helser Desk – 60 cases (1,440 bottles), 120 cases

Martin Desk – 30 cases (720 bottles), 60 cases

Eaton Desk – 30 cases (720 bottles), 60 cases

Buchanan Desk – 40 cases (960 bottles), 80 cases