LGBTQIA+ student org, oSTEM, to host career panel

Courtesy of Getty Images

The Live Your Truth event was co-hosted by the Center for LGBTQIA+ Student Success and the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs. 

Logan Metzger

oSTEM will be hosting a STEM careers panel from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Wednesday in room 1302 of the Advanced Teaching and Resources Building.

The panel will consist of professional people who identify as queer and are employed in STEM disciplines. Panel members include a masters of engineering student, a doctoral student in physics and astronomy, an industry scientist with expertise in biology and genetics working in the animal health field and a lecturing professor in the College of Engineering.

“Each of these panelists will have the opportunity to discuss their experiences and how their identity has changed their path, as well as have an opportunity to lend advice and expertise to attendees,” according to the Facebook page for the event.

The event is intended to foster an inclusive, safe and intimate environment where participants can feel comfortable asking questions that can be difficult to ask in an internship or entry-level position.

In addition to the formal question-and-answer portion of the event, there will also be time for networking, socializing and asking questions of panelists. Attendees will have the opportunity to submit questions in advance for panelists as well as the opportunity to ask spontaneous questions during the event.

“Whether you’re a high school student considering college majors, an undergrad completing your [bachelors] and trying to decide whether to go to grad school or seek industry employment, or a [doctorate] student thinking about a post-doc position, there’s someone on this panel who’s been there, done that, and happy to share their insights with you,” according to the Facebook page for the event.

According to the oSTEM student organization page, “oSTEM at Iowa State is a student-run organization that promotes the development and retention of all underrepresented students in fields relating to science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM), especially: Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, and Asexual people.”