Religious, spiritual groups abound

Bethany Pint

Students who are Lutheran, Catholic, Pagan, Jewish, atheist or any other belief can find a group to match at Iowa State.

There are 32 religious/spiritual clubs on campus for believers and non-believers to connect and reflect on their faith or lack thereof.

Jordan Adams, sophomore in child, adult and family services and president of the Salt Company, said his involvement has deepened his faith in and connected him with new friends with similar beliefs.

“Through high school, I had some faith and had a decent life, but I was not happy and I was a hypocrite,” Adams said. “Since coming to Salt Company, I have found people who are willing to pour into my life, to walk along beside me and to help me become the person that I desire to be. I now live my life with a passion to serve Jesus, with a heart to love people and with a lot of joy.”

“We don’t seek to brainwash or run an agenda – our agenda is Jesus,” Adams said. “We believe that finding Jesus is the single most important thing in a person’s life.”

The ISU Atheist and Agnostic Society has provided Brian Gress, senior in psychology, an opportunity to “meet other freethinkers.”

“It provides a forum for critical discussion on many topics within science, religion, philosophy and what the future direction of atheism in America should be,” Gress said..

Discussions, volunteer activities, campuswide events, guest speakers and weekly meetings and brunches allow students to stay active in the group.

“AAS meetings have given me an open forum to discuss my beliefs and to critically think about why I believe the things I do,” Gress said.

“I realized that I, as do most people, had some irrational beliefs, and other members helped me see this,” Gress said. “Having evidence for what I believe is important to me, and this group has helped to provide that.”

For a full list of religious and spiritual clubs at Iowa State, and more information about the groups mentioned in this article, go to sodb.stuorg.iastate.edu/list-type.php?id[]=19.