College director, chairperson positions undergo changes

Daily Staff

Three new department chairpersons and two program directors will begin their duties this summer in the ISU College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

Lt. Col. Michael Novy has been named commander of the department of Air Force aerospace studies. Novy is a 1993 ISU alumnus in aerospace engineering, and was commissioned by the ISU Air Force ROTC Detachment 250.

He replaces Col. James Cramp, who retired from the Air Force.

Pamela Riney-Kehrberg, professor of history, has been named chairwoman of the Department of History. Riney-Kehrberg came to Iowa State in 2000. She began serving as the program coordinator in 2007 for agricultural history and rural studies and director of the Center for Agricultural History.

Riney-Kehrberg replaces Charles Dobbs, professor of history, who remains a part of the ISU faculty.

Barbara Ching has been named chairwoman of the Department of English. Ching has been a faculty member at the University of Memphis since 1992. She has held many roles in the Department of English, including director of graduate programs and advising.

Ching replaces Charles Kostelnick, professor of English, who will remain a part of the faculty.

Gloria Jones-Johnson, professor of sociology, has been named director of the women’s studies program. Jones-Johnson came to Iowa State in 1986. She has served as director of graduate education for the department of sociology.

Jones-Johnson replaces Dawn Bratsch-Prince, interim director, who is an associate dean in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

Chad Gasta, associate professor of Hispanic studies in the Department of World Languages and Cultures, has been named director of the international studies program. Gasta came to the ISU faculty in 2001. Gasta directs the ISU languages and cultures for professions program, which integrates languages and cultures with professional courses for ISU engineering and business students. He also directs the ISU Western European Studies program and the ISU on the Mediterranean, Summer in Valencia, Spain program.

He also replaces Dawn Bratsch-Prince, the program’s director.

All the new chairpersons and directors will assume their duties July 1, except Jones-Johnson, who will begin in August.