The Daily wants you to join the editorial board

Daily Staff

Beginning this summer, the Iowa State Daily Editorial Board will no longer be a voice from the Iowa State Daily. We want it to be your voice.

We are looking for students from any major and background to be on our editorial board.

In the past, the editorial board, like most news organizations’ editorial board, has been composed of editors and other staff members. It’s time for a change.

Let’s be honest. Sometimes editorial board is a hassle for us. Being able to get seven or more regular Daily staffers together at least twice a week is difficult considering everyone’s schedule and time commitment to producing/editing stories and the print edition — and keeping on top of classes.

The editorial board also lacks much thinking beyond the members’ own interests — and most members are in the newsroom a lot. We’d like an editorial board where an issue that matters to an agriculture or veterinary student receives attention and dialogue at a meeting.

The only newsroom person that will sit on this board is the opinion editor. The editor-in-chief will not sit on the board, because that person should answer to the board only when a news judgment question arrives or if the board has a question about a current community issue.

One of the original ideas behind the original editorial board model dates back decades when the editors saw most of the days’ news through the wire services. The staff had to sift through all the stories to choose what to put in the next day’s print edition. Because the staff read more news than the average citizen, the editors viewed themselves as the most informed to make opinions to lead discussion in the community.

The Internet brought an end to that.

With platforms like Google News and Twitter, a person can filter the news. Editors are not more informed on certain issues than other community members. Surely there are thousands of students out there that are smarter than staffers on certain subjects.

For those interested, members will attend a meeting once or twice a week to discuss, as a group, various topics. Members will also be responsible to bring a couple ideas — current events, issues — to the meeting as a possible idea to become an editorial. No writing experience is necessary.

We want the six students to represent the diversity of Iowa State: the seven colleges, the multicultural population, the greek community, undergraduate students, graduate assistants, etc.

All selected members will be public. And don’t think every editorial has to be serious or thought-provoking. We’ve had our silly and fun editorials this year.

Stop by the Iowa State Daily, 108 Hamilton Hall, or e-mail editor@iowastatedaily if you are interested in a position on the new community-run editorial board.