International students explore new cultures, preserve histories of home

Yang Yuan, IEOP (intensive english orientation program.. not degree seeking), Nan Zhang, junior in mechanical engineering and Xuetong Mao, freshman in electrical engineering look on while Zengweijie Chen, freshman in electrical engineering sings a Linkin Park song Sunday March 14, 2010 at a K-TV at 119 Stanton. K-TV, an abbreviation of Karaoke Television is a type of karaoke where people rent rooms and groups have private karaoke parties. It is highly popular in China and the clubs four rooms fill quickly on the weekends. Photo: Rashah McChesney

Rashah McChesney

Yang Yuan, IEOP (intensive english orientation program.. not degree seeking), Nan Zhang, junior in mechanical engineering and Xuetong Mao, freshman in electrical engineering look on while Zengweijie Chen, freshman in electrical engineering sings a Linkin Park song Sunday March 14, 2010 at a K-TV at 119 Stanton. K-TV, an abbreviation of Karaoke Television is a type of karaoke where people rent rooms and groups have private karaoke parties. It is highly popular in China and the club’s four rooms fill quickly on the weekends. Photo: Rashah McChesney

Thousands of international students from different backgrounds come to Iowa State every year. Some enjoy their stay more than others, but essentially all they want is to make the most out of their college experience, enjoy it, make new friends and fit in without forgetting about their cultures and who they are.

Davendra Jayasingam, senior in computer engineering, came to Iowa State from Malaysia in the fall of 2008. “I haven’t been back since, but I will go back this summer,” Jayasingam said.

He explains his parents call him three times a week, and he also communicates with them through Skype at least once a week, which helps him deal with homesickness.

“My experience at Iowa State has been fantastic. I love the campus, the greens and the professors. I have nothing bad to say about the Ames community,” Jayasingam said. “It’s pretty, peaceful and quiet, which I think is fantastic. I don’t feel threatened when I walk around, especially on campus. Sometimes I walk back home at three in the morning, and I feel safe. I don’t get to do that in Malaysia. It’s dangerous to walk alone at night over there, especially in big cities.”

He has been the webmaster of the American Culture Acclimation Society and the International Student Council, which he said is his way of getting involved while being at Iowa State. Also, he clarified that even though he is not the most sociable guy, he still tries to fit in with the Ames community and other international students. “I get along with people I can relate to, regardless of their culture,” Jayasingam said.

He said it was crucial for any potential students that come from Malaysia to get in touch with current Malaysian students at Iowa State so they can get acclimated. “They have to blend in well and observe the American culture, too,” Jayasingam said.

Antonio Cordero, graduate student in ecology, evolution and biology, is an immigrant from Venezuela who came to the United States 10 years ago, settled in the state of Maryland with his mother and sister and then moved to Ames a year ago.

“My father and my uncle still live in Venezuela. I miss them all the time. It’s been 10 years since I last saw them,” Cordero said. “But no matter how long I live here, nothing will ever replace them or the culture that I grew up with.”

Cordero also felt the need to reach out to potential Hispanic students and said he emphasized the importance of getting to know the current Latin American students at Iowa State.

“I don’t want to say that they should stick to other Latin American students, because then they wouldn’t be doing anything related to the American culture, but they’re going to have to because otherwise they might feel depressed. Sometimes the American culture can come across as cold compared to the Latin American culture,” he said.

Cordero said he still feels comfortable with both the Hispanic students and the American students because he finds it easy to relate to them despite all the cultural differences. He said he usually tends to be reserved about his personal experience as an immigrant because he fears that people won’t be able to fully understand.

“I’m very successful here, but a lot of times I think it’s sort of a trade off, and maybe it’s better not to be a successful person and be with my family,” Cordero said. “A lot of people don’t really understand how hard it is to leave the people you love behind, move to a different culture and learn another language.”

Ben Pomlett, junior in civil engineering, came to Iowa State last semester as a foreign exchange student from England. He said he has enjoyed his stay in Ames and, as he prepares for the end of his final semester, he refers to Ames as one of the best places he has ever been in his life.

Pomlett said how easy it was to fit in. “People seemed to be genuinely interested in learning about my culture and speaking to me. Most of them were amazed by my accent,” he said. “As soon as I moved to the dorms I got to know people instantly and became friends with them very quickly.”

Pomlett said he hasn’t felt homesick, considering that he went back home during Christmas break, and he talks to his family and friends from England on Facebook all the time. “As long as I’m in the company of good friends, I will always feel at home.” Pomlett said.

Pomlett said how much he loves eating at Jeff’s Pizza Shop, 2402 Lincoln Way, which he referred to as brilliant. He felt the need to share his gratitude with the Ames community as well. “I would like to thank the people of Ames for being such a welcoming community,” Pomlett said.

International Students and Scholars adviser Virginia McCallum works with several programs that try to bring international students and Americans together. “We match international students with people in the community with the purpose of friendship. We coordinate large group meetings, and we also encourage students to meet individually,” McCallum said.

McCallum said it’s challenging to find Americans who are willing to get involved. “We spend the majority of the time trying to recruit Americans students, and it’s very difficult,” she said. “Part of it is because Iowa is very homogeneous, and many people are very uncomfortable meeting with people from other cultures.”

However, McCallum also said the programs can be successful and have fulfilling results. “Sometimes people become really good friends, stay close for years and travel around the world to each other’s weddings,” she said.

McCallum coordinates large group and couple meetings for the students and people in the Ames community, and she helps coordinate social gatherings where students exchange food from their home countries and share their traditions. “We also plan trips for international students to Chicago and Mall of America,” McCallum said, adding that Americans who are willing to volunteer get to go on the trip for free and encourages Americans to get more involved in these kinds of activities.

“The United States is a big and powerful country, but with very little contact with people from other parts of the world. I think we should learn about other cultures, their viewpoints, and what’s important to them,” McCallum said. “To me, it’s a matter of patriotism and public diplomacy. We have the chance to show what we’re really like, and we have a chance to learn from other cultures.”