WOMEN’S BASKETBALL: All eyes on Prins

Jordan Wickstrom

Standing at 6 feet 7 inches, freshman center Anna Prins is used to getting a lot of attention.

Lack of attention has never been a problem for Prins, whether it be the double teams opposing defenses run against her, the looks she generates around campus or even her plethora of awards and recognition received throughout her high school career.

It seems wherever she goes, all eyes are on her.

“I’m used to getting a lot of attention just from being tall,” Prins said. “It’s not only on the court but off the court, you get a lot of attention because you don’t see too many six-foot-seven-inch girls around, but I just handle it the way I always have because I know who I am and I’m confident in that.”

Most recently Prins has been able to put together an impressive display against some of the Big 12’s tougher opponents including a 15-point performance during the victory over Oklahoma.

Despite being a freshman, Prins has held her own against some of the tough defensive sets she has seen. This could be because she is used to seeing difficult defenses. During her high school career, Prins had to face quite a few double teams.

However, double teams and tough defenses didn’t stop her from helping her team to a 106-4 record over her four years in high school, winning three state championships, a 2009 Colorado Gatorade Player of the Year Award or a 2009 Miss Basketball Award. Prins was still able to have some of her most memorable performances when once again it was all eyes on her to deliver.

“Obviously she was the focal point of every team that we played,” said Prins’ former high school basketball coach Mike Croell. “Her sophomore year, she didn’t have a ton of points but she did have 16 rebounds in the state championship game. Then her senior year when we had some players in foul trouble, I don’t think we took her out the entire game, she had to go the whole time.”

For Prins, the prospect of playing college basketball had been right in front of her since her freshman year in high school. Schools such as Michigan State, Wisconsin and even Duke began inquiring about her before she celebrated her 16th birthday.

“Colleges were calling on her from her freshman year on,” Croell said. “I had colleges calling when she was a freshman and they don’t even bother coming out and looking at her, they jumped right to the chase and say they’re offering. And when you say offering, that’s a full-ride scholarship.”

Once Prins arrived at Iowa State it did not take long for her to build chemistry with her new teammates. Senior guard Alison Lacey described her as a “friendly giant” and “a sweetheart” off the court. However, once on the court, Lacey knew what the Cyclones had was a special player.

“I’ve never played with a six-foot-seven girl, she’s a big presence,” Lacey said. “I like that she can shoot the ball from outside, she’s got some range to her game. It’s definitely a completely different player than I’ve played with before.”

Injuries aside, Prins has developed her game well. Fennelly made the comparison to former ISU basketball player Nicky Wieben’s freshman year where she started and averaged 8.2 points and 5.3 rebounds per game. In contrast to Wieben’s freshman year, Prins is averaging 8.9 points and 4.1 rebounds in 22 games.

“You look at someone like Nicky Wieben who contributed a lot as a freshman, she played minutes and played on good teams,” Fennelly said. “The thing we talk about with our team all the time is find a way to impact winning and I think she’s right on schedule as to what we think she can be.”

It has been no secret the Cyclones have had a terrific history of post players. With names like Angie Welle to go along with Wieben, the question remains: With her raw talent and rare ability as an inside and outside scorer, will Prins be able to leave a lasting impact on the Cyclones like those two?

“[Prins] has a chance to be as good as she wants to be,” Fennelly said. “I don’t think there’s any question she has a chance to be very special. Not just at Iowa State but in the term of how you look at Big 12 players, how you look at players nationally because she’s skilled, she’s committed. Now it’s just of matter of how good do you want to be? Do you want to be good or do you want to be great?”

How good does Prins want to be exactly? When asked that question, she looked at the pictures of former players and banners that hang in the new practice facility.

“I want to help this program become better, whatever that entails,” Prins said. “Just trying to make the most of every opportunity that comes my way and the team’s way and maybe do something that the team has never done before.”

It is still early in her career at Iowa State but there is still much to be excited for. Until the day comes where everyone finally gets to see how good she could be, one thing will remain the same as it has always been for Prins.

All eyes will be on her.