Winner of ISU Museums competition has photo sold beginning in December

Katherine Kelly Moores winning photograph, “Sky’s the Limit.” It was voted the best by the community in the “I ♥ Campus Art” competition. It will be sold at the ISU Museums store beginning in December.

Katherine Kelly Moore’s winning photograph, “Sky’s the Limit.” It was voted the best by the community in the “I ♥ Campus Art” competition. It will be sold at the ISU Museums store beginning in December.

Julia Ferrell

Katherine Kelly Moore checked her e-mail in Kildee Hall between classes and discovered an important message: Her photograph, “Sky’s the Limit,” was the winner of the “I ♥ Campus Art” competition.

Moore, freshman in art and design, entered the second annual competition when one of her professors offered credit for entering the contest.

All entries were required to be photographs of objects in the Art on Campus Collection at Iowa State.

Moore took one day to walk around ISU campus in search of something intriguing to use as a subject for her first photography competition.

When she came across a particular sculpture near Black Engineering, “Carom,” she knew she had found her subject.

“The sky was really pretty that day, and the sculpture’s the same color,” Moore said.

Along with 24 other entries, Moore’s photograph was sent to the University Museums and voted on by the community throughout October.

When the competition closed, a total of 161 votes were tallied and Moore was announced the winner.

“I was really hyper when I found out, and I called my mom right away,” Moore said. “I was excited. I got credit for my class and I won.”

Nancy Gebhart, project manager for the contest and staff member at University Museums, said she was pleased with the winning photograph.

“It combines aesthetic beauty with engineering,” she said. “‘Sky’s the Limit’ is a great representation of Iowa State.”

Posters of Moore’s photograph will be available beginning Dec. 1 for a limited time at the University Museums’ store, located on the second floor of the Scheman Building.

Unframed posters will cost $10.