10 years of marriage equality celebrated by LGBTQIA+ community

Gillian Holte/Iowa State Daily

Students and faculty celebrate 10 Years of Marriage Equality in Iowa. The LGBTQA+ Faculty and Staff Association hosted the reception to celebrate on Apr. 3 in The Center for LGBTQIA+ Student Success in the Memorial Union.

Logan Metzger

Ten years of marriage equality in Iowa was celebrated by Iowa State students, staff, faculty and Ames community members in the Center for LGBTQIA+ Student success Wednesday.

In true wedding reception style, there was a white cloth lined table with mints and cake and plenty of taffy which happened to be in the colors of the transgender flag.

nicci port, project director and LGBTQ+ initiatives for the Office of Diversity and Inclusion, welcomed attendees and thanked the Center and the LGBTQA+ Faculty Staff Association for hosting the event and to all other’s in attendance for coming to celebrate.

With over 30 attendees the Center was bursting with laughter and conversation as people caught up and discussed their lives as LGBTQIA+ people.

“Something big happened ten years ago and it brought the LGBTQIA+ community to the mainstream, but that is not exactly what is essential to our community,” port said. “I am very happy about it and very thankful for it, but that was ten years ago so what are we going to do next?”

port said that the event was just food and a room without the people who showed up and made it awesome.

“Anyone who was here in 2009 sitting around the computers refreshing the supreme court webpage and those who were there at the rally that students held it is an unforgettable movement,” said Brad Freihoefer, director of the Center for LGBTQIA+ Student Success. “I can’t believe it has been ten years so I think it is important to reflect on our history often and this is one moment we need to do this with.”