Orientation Guide: Testing Centers

Max Goldberg/Iowa State Daily

The testing center in the Durham building is one of three testing centers on campus. The centers offer a place for students to take tests outside of the classroom, but still in a controlled environment. 

Leila Doric

The testing center experience is quite different from what most students are used to, and it can make incoming students feel lost or confused when they go into a testing center for the first time.

The most important thing to remember is to bring your student ID with you.

Testing centers won’t allow you to take the exam without your student ID because it tells the proctors what exams need to be completed.

Another important thing to note is the procedure of the testing centers. Before students walk in it is important to turn off phones and take off any watches. These will be put in a bag while the exam is being taken.

When students walk in, they put their devices in clear bags, get their student IDs swiped by one of the testing proctors, and then another proctor guides them to their seat, that is where students log into Canvas and complete their exams.

There are five testing centers: Carver 60, Carver 250, Durham 139, Gilman 2552 and Gilman 2352. For students who are taking written exams, they should head to Gilman 2552.

The ISU Online Testing Center website has a helpful to see how long the lines are in all of the centers.

Throughout all of the testing centers, the doors are open from 9 a.m. and the doors close at 6:30 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays. On Fridays, the doors open at 9 a.m. and close at 5:30 p.m.

Although the doors close at those times, it does not mean students need to be finished with their exams. Students are allowed to complete their exams 30 minutes after the doors are shut.

The testing centers are closed during the weekends, university holidays and breaks.