On display

On display

On display

Emily Bishop and Allison Clarke —

The day is almost here — students have been working for a semester to create this year’s 27th annual Fashion Show, which will be held at Stephens Auditorium on Saturday.

Chelsea Stumo, senior in apparel merchandising, design and production and co-producer of the show, is one of the many students whose work will be revealed Saturday night. With a casual contemporary look, her line is titled “Hughes of The Sky,” and lifts inspiration from what Marilyn Monroe would wear if she had been a fighter pilot.

“I’ve always had a creative mindset. I love expressing myself through fashion,” Stumo said. “When I was younger I would cut pictures out of magazines and put together outfits and collages.”

As co-producer, Stumo will oversee the before- and after-parties that she helped plan. Stumo also helped find the guest designer for this year’s show.

Mansoor Amjed, a Des Moines high school graduate, will present a select line from Marc by Marc Jacobs for fall and spring 2009, including the women’s woven line.

This year’s theme is a little darker than past shows.

Aerielle Smith, senior in apparel merchandising, design and production, and one of the show’s producers, said this year’s theme is “more eerie” and dreamlike.

The set will have an organic but abstract and mystical feel, Smith said, including live trees donated by the horticulture department. 

Even the runway will follow the dark theme.

It will be black instead of the traditional white, which Smith said has been a trend on runways.

Ashley Wood, senior in apparel merchandising, design and production, who is on the set tech committee for the show, said the class as a whole wanted the show to have a different feel.

“We wanted it to be darker and edgier because in the past it’s been so light,” Wood said.

As a committee member, Wood and others set up the stage and screens and painted the trees and panels for the runway.

Jean Parsons, associate professor for apparel, educational studies and hospitality management, is the instructor of Textiles and Clothing 495, the senior line development class, and said in order to have designs featured in the show, students have to pass the judging process.

The judging takes place in early April, prior to the night of the show. The judges are professionals from the fashion industry and critique the garments on creativity, use of materials, overall construction and how well the garments fit the models.

“We want a mix of a creative designer and technical designer and educator,” Smith said.

On Saturday, awards will be given for first, second and third place in categories such as evening wear, graduate, historical, costume, children’s wear and urban wear. A best in show will also be awarded.

Where: Stephens Auditorium

When: Saturday at 7 p.m.

Doors open at 6 p.m. The public can view work of mounted displays and portfolios of student designers at this time.