Creatives interview for opportunities in Ames

Megan Nemec/Iowa State Daily

The Intern and Job Fair for Creatives allowed students interested in creative jobs and internships an opportunity to interview at the Memorial Union.

Megan Nemec

The second annual Intern and Job Fair for Creatives allowed students interested in creative jobs and internships an opportunity to interview Tuesday night at the Memorial Union.

Positions available were offered through The Workspace, Memorial Union Marketing, The Octagon Center for the Arts, Ames Community Arts Council and Reiman Gardens.

Students were notified to come prepared to speak with supervisors as well as have some copies of their resumes in hand.

Kayla Hoag, senior in biological and premedical illustration, came to the career fair interested in a botanical art and horticulture programming internship. 

“In the future, I would like to create illustrations and other artwork for both science and medical-based companies,” Hoag said. “I enjoyed speaking with others in my major about the opportunities at the fair and what might be the best fit for me personally.”

Rhonda Scott, events coordinator at the Octagon Center for the Arts, said that several of the arts organizations in town met to speak to one another about who’s teaching what at their organizations to prevent overlap. This communication is key in pooling their resources and holding a fair for the creatives.

“We need people who are responsible, invested in doing a good job, self-starters, ask for help when needed,” Scott said.

According to the staff at the Octagon Center for the Arts, if students are being themselves and have a genuine sense of humor they stand out in interviews. It was also noted that having good eye contact is crucial, as well as having a question to ask interviewers. This shows that interviewees have both prepared and thought about companies before entering the interview.

The fair provided resources for positions including art archive management, art education, art exhibits, botanical art & horticulture programming, event planning & management, graphic design, marketing & advertising, workspace Studio Staff and videography.