No. 2: Obama elected

Then-Democratic Presidential Candidate Barack Obama, at a rally in Des Moines on Oct. 31. File Photo: Jon Lemons/Iowa State Daily

Jon Lemons

Allison Suesse –

Editor’s note: This story is part of a series titled “Top 10 News Events of Our Lives,” published in December 2008. The stories were chosen and written by Daily staff writers. Our editors have shared some of their anecdotes on each event. We encourage you to leave your own memories in the Discussion section of each story.

For Nate Bond, Nov. 4 proved to be one of the most exhausting and exhilarating days of the semester.

It is no coincidence that Bond’s exhaustion and hard work coincided with one of year’s most historical events — the election of the first black president in the history of the United States.

“I was on my feet from seven in the morning, until about four in the afternoon,” said  Bond, sophomore in environmental science–Liberal Arts and Sciences, describing his grueling day. “It was nice to see the culmination of all our hard work coming to reality.”

Bond is the treasurer for Students for Barack Obama and spent Election Day on campus with other members of the organization, reminding students to vote. The organization even spent time going door to door throughout the Ames community offering to give Obama supporters rides to nearby polling locations.

Bond believes this event is one of the most important moments for his generation. He feels this election is a positive step forward for this country getting closer to “not caring about race.”

“Maybe our generation will eventually look past race … and judge politicians more on their merits,” he said.

Paul Lasley, professor and chair of sociology – agriculture and life sciences, agrees with Bond in the historic nature of the election.

“What it says is that people are more willing to accept diversity in leadership,” Lasley said. “Maybe 30 to 50 years of national attention on acceptance of diversity … is maybe finally taking root.”

The election brought in record numbers of voters, according to most American news sources and garnered international attention.

In addition, Lasley said the Obama campaign generated a high amount of enthusiasm among college students, as well within the nation as a whole.

He said Obama’s policies regarding student financial aid was a a contributing factor to the enthusiasm of students for Obama’s campaign.

Anthony Maly, sophomore in political science, also noticed the positive energy on campus surrounding Obama’s campaign.

“The election got a lot of people fired up,” he said. He hopes in the future, since the election coverage was so pervasive, that students will take a deeper interest in politics and participate in local elections.

In a previous interview with the Daily, Tunde Adeleke, professor of liberal arts and sciences administration, said the United States has not only gained a great amount of attention within the country, but also attention overseas. Because of the United States’ racist reputation abroad, “the election of a black man will go a long way in beginning to really change the image of this country,” he said.

Maly agrees.

“This election means so much to our generation,” Maly said. “It shows the world how the U.S. can be more accepting and look at things from a different perspective.”

Staff comments:

“It’s not like racism has disappeared, because it hasn’t. But on Nov. 4, enough people put aside their prejudices to do something great for this country, and that gives me hope.”

— Nia Balvanz, copy chief

“I was surprised Americans were able to throw away their ignorance and pre-conceived notions that a black man wouldn’t be able to lead our country just as well as a white man. If you look at the list, this event is the only positive thing that happened.”

— Kim Norvell, news editor