Two dead in Ames, police issue ISU Alert

Ames Police have named Atiba A. Spellman, 33, sophomore in computer engineering, a person of interest relating to an investigation of two deaths in west Ames on Saturday morning. Photo: Courtesy/Ames Police Department

Daily Staff

The Ames Police Department is investigating the deaths of two persons that occurred early this morning near the 1100 block of Pinon Drive in west Ames.

According to a press release, Ames Police have identified a person of interest relating to the deaths. Police are asking the public’s assistance in locating Atiba A. Spellman, sophomore in computer engineering. According to the press release, Spellman is described as a 33-year-old black male, 5-foot 6-inches tall, and weighing approximately 200 pounds.

Jim Robinson, Ames Police investigations commander, said the children of the two victims have been located and are now safe.

Spellman is currently enrolled as a student at Iowa State; however, he does not reside on campus, according to the press release.

Spellman may be driving a blue, 1995 four-door Buick LeSabre bearing Iowa license plate 686 TOT. The vehicle may have a cracked windshield.

Anyone with critical information relating to Atiba Spellman or this investigation is asked to contact the Ames Police Department at 515-239-5133.

Updated at 3:45 p.m. Saturday.