FOOTBALL: Bo Williams balances family responsibility while learning plays

Corey Aldritt

Going to class, working out and last-minute group projects are the usual for the average student at Iowa State. Add taking care of your 15-year-old sister to that list for redshirt freshman running back Johnny “Bo” Williams.

Williams came to Iowa State in the spring 2008, after transferring from Florida, and four months ago he started taking on the responsibility of a parent.

“I didn’t want my sister to go to some type of home, so I got her and I’m taking care of her right now,” Williams said. “She’s happy, she’s in school — she’s doing good in school — she made the honor roll — and I’m proud of her.”

Williams said family problems back in Florida brought his sister to Ames to live with him.

Williams’ sister, Donniqua Johnson, is in her first year at Ames High School, is a point guard on the school’s basketball team and will be competing on the track team in the spring.

Williams said he wants to keep his sister involved in activities because he is so busy with football and school. Despite both of their busy lives, Williams said they hang out every night and see a movie on Monday nights.

“There’s been a lot of stuff out there that he needed to overcome,” said coach Gene Chizik. “It’s been a good transition for him; he needed this year to get school and new surroundings [figured out]. In a year, he’s really come a long way.”

Williams found his way to Ames after one season at Florida but was required to sit out this season because of NCAA transfer rules.

The Lauderdale Lakes, Fla.-native said he left Florida because it wasn’t the type of offense that he wanted to play in.

“I wasn’t the type of back to run across the field, back and forth. I’m not that type of guy. I need more of a downhill, power offense, and that’s what I saw in Iowa State,” Williams said.

A power back like Williams is definitely something the Cyclones could have used this season, with their struggles in short yardage situations.

“He visited here, and then three weeks later he was here for good — that’s kind of a shocking deal,” Chizik said. “He went through spring practice knowing that he was going to get redshirted, so he didn’t get near as many reps as he probably would have liked, but for good reason.”

Williams was a www.rivals.com four-star recruit coming out of high school and was rated the sixteenth-best running back of his class. So when Williams decided to leave Florida, Iowa State joined a long list of teams that wanted his service.

“I’d never even heard of Iowa, I didn’t know where Iowa was on a map until I came here,” Williams said.

After Williams’ visit to Ames, he choose Iowa State over 16 other Division 1 schools.

“People are so nice and friendly; I’m enjoying myself; I love it here,” Williams said.

One thing Williams said he does miss from his days in Florida is the weather.

“I’ve never been in this type of weather in my life. I’m from Florida, I’ve never been this cold in my life,” Williams said. “I just bought my first coat a couple of months ago.”

Williams has spent this season as the running back for the scout team and he’s spent a lot of time in the weight room. He said when he got to Iowa State he weighed 208 pounds but is now up to 224.

“I have to do this, I’m just so excited to get on the field. You guys don’t know but the coaches know,” Williams said.