Fallen veterans honored

Nov. 11, 2008 Photo: Jon Lemons/Iowa State Daily

Jon Lemons

Matt Nosco –

“Few of us really live. Until you’ve faced death, until you’ve held life in your hands — laid your life on the line — until you’ve overcome incredible, absolute, paralyzing fear with positive action towards an honorable purpose, do you really know what it means to live?,” said Lt. Col. John Soupene, professor and chair of military science and tactics. “I guarantee these men knew what it meant to really live.”

In recognition of Veterans Day, Iowa State paid tribute to 20 former ISU students who died in World War II, Korea, Vietnam and Somalia on Tuesday.

The ceremony took place in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

Any former ISU student who died while serving on active combat duty in the U.S. Armed Forces can be recognized in the Gold Star Hall.

Soupene delivered a speech, offering his condolences to the families of the departed.

“I’m humbled to stand here before you today in remembrance of these men,” Soupene said. “It saddens my heart to read these names on that wall, to see their loved ones here today, to know their lives were cut short and their sacrifices left holes in your life, holes in your heart that will never completely heal.”

President Gregory Geoffroy, who is on a trip in Asia, recorded in advance a video to welcome the attendees to the ceremony and talked about the fallen heroes.

“[Their] interests and pursuits brought them to ISU for a brief time before their duties took them to other places, and tragically took them from us,” Geoffroy said. “Their spirit, heroism, and heroic sacrifice will inspire us long after today’s ceremony is over.”

Marc Harding, director of enrollment services, and Terry Mason, assistant vice president of student counseling services, told stories of the 20 fallen soldiers. They used stories and photographs provided by family members to tell of the lives of the servicemen. Some family members were also present and able to speak on behalf of the departed.

The ceremony was held to honor those students who had not been recognized in the past as ISU students, and whose names have arisen over the course of the past year.

“This is the third consecutive year that new names have been identified and added to the hall, and ceremonies observed,” said Kathy Svec, Memorial Union marketing director. “Previously, names were added in 2003, 1984, 1969 and 1928.”

The ceremony closed with a moment of silence for the servicemen and one final reading of the names that are now engraved on the walls of the Memorial Union.