Tinder Swipe Life unapologetically shares real stories

Swipe+life

Swipe life

Courtney Lampman

Walking around campus, you’re almost guaranteed to see someone distinctly swiping left or right on their phone. Brightness down or not, swiping through profiles and potential matches on Tinder can be a daily activity for some college students.

Tinder released its most swiped campuses in the U.S. and Iowa State females didn’t disappoint, ranking eighth in “most swiped females.” While our Iowa State men didn’t break the top 50 list, there’s supposedly some tough competition out there.

Tinder can play a lot of different roles in a student’s life. Whether it’s for self-validation, putting an end to loneliness, casual hookups or finding love, Tinder journeys can be quite unique.

Danielle Kam, the associate editor at Tinder spoke about Swipe Life, the recently launched site that  “aims to tell stories of Tinder users.”

The site has everything from profile boosting tips, vlogs on dates in different countries, tips on boosting your profile, and lastly, real life Tinder experiences.

“We want to accompany users on their dating journey and really be a source of advice and a community for them to come to,” Kam said.

Recently, one of our own Iowa State Students, Grace Rigdon, a senior in Apparel Merchandising and Design submitted an article about her week on Tinder. Check out the article here.

The article talks about some of the all too real struggles students may face while interacting with others on Tinder. From chatting it up with a gym rat who claims to be “sore af” to getting called out for not following a match back on the “gram,” Grace hashes out a typical week on Tinder.

She addresses the moment she meets an Iowa State athlete at the bars after chatting with him on the app. In the article, she talks about showing up to the bar and having to ward him off when he asks her to come home with him, after he’s clearly had too many drinks.

After the night at the bar, she wakes up to a snap from the athlete asking why she didn’t stay over last night. After leaving him on read, he unmatches her.

Swipe Life tries to capture the real, unfiltered dating world. When asked about Tinder having the stigma of a hooking up app, Kam mentioned Tinder’s recent campaign called “Single, Not Sorry.” This campaign stresses the importance of erasing the stigma of being single and “making the single journey whatever you want it to be for you.”

So whether you’re on Tinder for self-validation, putting an end to loneliness, casual hookups or finding love, there’s a place on Swipe Life for you. If you’re interested in writing for swipe life, send an article idea to Danielle Kam at [email protected]