Welcoming those from overseas

Students sit and talk during Friendships International in the Memorial Lutheran Church on Sun., Sept. 28, 2008. The program matches students up by common interests and allows international and local students to learn about one anothers culture. Photo: Manfred Strait/Iowa State Daily

Manfred Strait

Students sit and talk during Friendships International in the Memorial Lutheran Church on Sun., Sept. 28, 2008. The program matches students up by common interests and allows international and local students to learn about one another’s culture. Photo: Manfred Strait/Iowa State Daily

David Wise

Some of Iowa State’s international students have a host family to help them get insight into American life.

On Sunday, Friendships International, a program pairing international students with a host, had an event at Memorial Lutheran Church, 2228 Lincoln Way, informing international students about the program and introducing them to their hosts who will spend time with them and make them a little more comfortable in the Ames community.

Virginia McCallum, program coordinator for international students and scholars, said the program is beneficial for both the students and their hosts.

Hosts and students are matched up by their common interests. A host can request to be paired with a student from a certain country, but they cannot choose an opposite gender. Some hosts choose students from a certain country because they want to know more about that country or would like to practice a foreign language such as Spanish or Chinese.

“It’s a chance for them to see how we really live over here,” McCallum said. “For the hosts, it’s a cheap way to study abroad and meet people across seas.”

Bob Steffes, a host with the program, looks forward to meeting new people.

“Me and my wife have a very international background,” Steffes said. “We’ve traveled to around 53 countries and enjoy meeting new students from across seas.”

International students enjoy the program, too. Besides becoming more comfortable with life in the United States, it’s also a good way for them to see how we really live.

McCallum said most of what they know about the American way of life is depicted on TV, so when they come the United States, they don’t really have a clear understanding of life here.

“It’s a public diplomacy — it’s a chance for them to see that we don’t really live like what they see on MTV,” McCallum said.

“The thing that excites me most about the program is getting to know the American people more,” said Liying Guo, graduate student in mechanical engineering.

The activities the international students do with their hosts are usually normal day activities. They include dinner in the hosts’ home, sporting events, picnics, decorating a Christmas tree, carving pumpkins for Halloween, and going shopping. As a result, long lasting friendships are often made.

“Some people stay friends for years,” McCallum said. “Many people stay in touch and exchange Christmas cards. Some Americans have even gone across seas to visit them in their country.”

Friendships International Funding

Funding for Friendships International comes from Worldly Goods, 223 Main St., a nonprofit store that sells international goods from developing countries. One night a year, Friendships International will receive 20 percent of everything sold there. This year, the event will happen on Nov. 24 from 5 to 8 p.m. Other organizations contributing to Friendships International include Memorial Lutheran Church; the Intensive English Orientation Program; St. Thomas Aquinas Church, 2210 Lincoln Way; The Salt Company at Cornerstone Church, 56829 U.S. Highway 30; the Retired Senior Volunteer Program, 113 Colorado Ave. #123; and the Collegiate Presbyterian Church, 159 N. Sheldon Ave.

Want to be a friend?

Help is appreciated from students who would like to volunteer their time in Friendships International. Virginia McCallum, program coordinator for international students and scholars, said approximately 100 international students need to be matched up. If interested in meeting someone from a different country, visit www.isso.iastate.edu/Programs/ or contact McCallum at 515-292-0378.