U of I president apologizes for mishandling sexual assault case

University of Iowa president, Sally Mason, addresses the Board of Regents regarding a sexual assault case Thursday, Sept. 25, 2008 in West Des Moines. Photo: Jon Lemons/Iowa State Daily

Jon Lemons

James Pusey —

University of Iowa president Sally Mason issued a public apology before the Board of Regents on Thursday for the way the university handled a recent sexual assault case.

“Failing a student that asks for our help is unacceptable, failing to report to the Board of Regents is also unacceptable,” Mason said. “The citizens of Iowa expect more of us, and I expect more of us.”

Mason responded to a report by Stolar Partnership LLP that was submitted to the regents in September, accusing the university of mishandling a sexual assault case involving two Iowa football players.

In the report, the St. Louis firm reported finding “numerous and substantial flaws in not only the response of the University of Iowa to the alleged sexual assault at issue, but also in its policies, procedures and practices regarding the same.”

Mason said the university has responded to the issue by terminating two university administrators — Philip Jones, vice president for student services, and Marcus Mills, vice president for legal affairs and general counsel — who were responsible for mishandling the case.

“Some officials did not do all that they could have done or should have done to make sure this young woman was protected by the university,” Mason said. “We must make sure that the harassment that occurred with this young woman is tolerated by no one.”

Mason said she has read the Stolar report several times and agrees with its findings. The University of Iowa is currently reviewing all of its policies concerning sexual harassment and sexual assault cases in light of the Stolar report, Mason said.

She said the university is doing what it can to ensure that all reports of sexual assault are investigated, and they are trying to make the process as easy for the victim as possible.

One of the new policies is that all sexual assault victims will be assigned a personal advocate to be with them throughout the case.

Mason said because a high percentage of sexual assault cases are directly related to alcohol consumption, they will take action to change the drinking culture at the University of Iowa.

Board of Regents president David Miles said he is satisfied with the way Mason and the University of Iowa has responded to the issues brought up in the Stolar report. He said the assault case at the University of Iowa was mishandled because the process failed to put the victim first.

“It is apparent that our current policies are fatally flawed, and that is something we will continue to address,” Miles said. “We must provide leadership from the top down and bottom up so that when a student needs help we will be there for him or her.”

Regent Robert Downer brought up concerns of a coverup by the athletic department involving the case, but James Bryant, partner with the Stolar Partnership said although they were initially suspicious of the athletic department, they found no evidence of a conspiracy on their part. He said he never expected to discover that the vice president of student services and the general counsel were responsible for the case’s poor handling.

“When the ones you found aren’t the ones you’re looking for, that’s probably a good sign that you’ve found the truth,” Bryant said.

Mason said all sexual assault cases at the university would be handled with more care in the future.

“I believe we can begin to move the university forward. We will not only meet what is expected of us, we will exceed what is expected of us,” Mason said.

After responding to the Stolar Report, Mason was evaluated by the Board of Regents in a closed session per Mason’s request.