Originality’ theme reflected in fashions of ISU students; Palindrome design takes first

Emily Bishop

Stephens Auditorium transformed into a runway show Friday night, complete with models strutting down the white runway donning original fashions created by ISU students.

Friday evening provided an opportunity for students to showcase their designs at the 26th annual ISU Fashion Show.

Before the show started at 6:30 p.m., a mounted exhibit was displayed in the upstairs lobby, displaying an assortment of accessories crafted by students, including hats, handbags, jewelry, scarves and corsets.

The show was an accumulation of work by student designers and for students who organized the event for an apparel, educational studies and hospitality management course.

Payam Imani, co-producer of the show and senior in apparel merchandising, design and production, said this year’s theme focused on the originality of the designs, which is the reasoning behind the name of this year’s production, “The Fashion Show.”

“I’m really excited. We had several rehearsals and it went really smooth,” Imani said prior to the show.

Imani described this year’s designs as “crazy” and “experimental.”

“All the designs are so different,” Imani said.

By the show’s start, anticipation filled the packed auditorium, with the audience eager for the show to begin. As the lights dimmed and the beat of techno/electronic-style music played, camera bulbs flashed and models confidently walked the catwalk.

Clothing featured in the show ranged from children’s wear to men’s and women’s wear.

The color palettes of the designs ranged from pastel and jewel tones to darker colors of browns and blacks.

For fans of elegant style or more urban styles, the show did not disappoint with its variety of designs.

Designs ranged from garden party dresses, such as the fittingly named “Ring Around the Rosy,” to elegant Grecian-goddess-style dresses. Accessories took designs to the next level, such as the “Old English sporting jacket” with the model holding a whip. Experimental designs included a corset for men and a men’s kimono.

After a brief intermission, guest judge Todd Snyder, ISU alumnus and vice president of menswear at J. Crew, opened the second half of the show with his collection.

Male models sporting glasses, knit caps and fingerless gloves set the tone of laid-back style. Layering of jackets, vests and scarves, as well as mix-matching of stripes and plaids, were continuous throughout the collection.

Colors such as purple and green provided a contrast against muted gray ensembles, while models wearing vivid red socks provided an element of surprise.

For Ebony Marks, senior in apparel merchandising, design and production, being a model in the fashion show provided her with runway experience because she aspires to be a model.

“It’s very organized and very professional,” Marks said.

Throughout the show, Marks modeled five different garments, including the design Palindrome by Hannah Osterman, senior in apparel merchandising, design and production, who received the best-in-show award for her design.

Marks enjoyed all aspects of the show, from the photo shoots on judging day to getting her hair and makeup done.

“It was great seeing how the whole show goes,” Marks said.

The show concluded with awards for designer collection, experimental wear and historic costume.

Models were also recognized for their efforts with awards being given for most dedicated model and best model attitude, which had never been done before.