Biden wins first-ever mail-in Iowa Democratic Caucus

Caitlin Yamada/ Iowa State Daily
Former Vice President Joe Biden visited Iowa State on Dec. 4, 2019 as part of his eight-day “No Malarkey!” bus tour.

President Joe Biden won the Iowa Democratic Caucus, a two-month-long mail-in contest, capturing 11,083 of 12,193 votes cast, according to unofficial results from the Iowa Democratic Party (IDP) announced Tuesday evening. 

Biden’s two opponents on the mail-in ballot were U.S. Rep. Dean Phillips from Minnesota and two-time candidate Marianne Williamson, who suspended her campaign Feb. 7 but joined the race again Feb. 28 and said Biden could not beat former President Donald Trump.

While this year’s Democratic primary was not competitive, the contrast between this year and 2020 is another quiet reminder of the Democratic National Committee’s decision to remove Iowa from early voting states. There was no news conference with a national media presence for a results announcement like the IDP has held in the past. 

The state party still held its first-in-the-nation caucus Jan. 15 but did not tally a presidential preference. The IDP is planning to apply for early voting status again for the 2028 presidential election.