Déjà vu: Biden vs. Trump rematch set after Super Tuesday

Cleo Westin
Former President Donald Trump stands at the podium of the 2023 Iowa GOP Lincoln Dinner on July 28, 2023.

Former President Donald Trump and President Joe Biden will face each other again in a presidential election following Trump’s victory in 14 states on Super Tuesday, providing him with at least 722 more delegates.

Haley drops out, Trump nomination imminent

After claiming her first victory in Washington, D.C. on Sunday, former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley had her first and only statewide victory Tuesday in Vermont. Haley, who was also the longest-serving U.N. ambassador in the Trump administration, failed to win a majority in Vermont and gained 49.9% of the vote over Trump’s 45.9%. 

Trump decisively defeated Haley on Tuesday in Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and Virginia. Besides Vermont, the lowest margin of victory for the former president was 13.8% in Utah. 

Wednesday morning, Haley suspended her campaign though she did not endorse Trump. Haley would have needed to win over 80% of the remaining delegates to win a majority or force a contested convention.

With 995 delegates, Trump needs 220 more to formally become the presumptive Republican nominee. There are 93 delegates still to be allocated from the completed contests and 161 will be available on March 12 from contests in Georgia, Hawaii, Mississippi and Washington. 

Biden wins everywhere but American Samoa, uncommitted gains 18% in Minn. 

With no major opponents, Biden’s 15 victories on Super Tuesday were projected by polls. “Uncommitted,” “No preference” and “None of these candidates” placed second in all nine Super Tuesday states with one of those choices. A bloc of Democrats across the country voted for the non-options to protest the administration’s handling of the war in Gaza and the absence of a ceasefire. 

Biden became the first incumbent president to lose a primary race since President Jimmy Carter in 1980. Biden lost the American Samoa caucus Tuesday to candidate Jason Palmer who had 51 votes to Biden’s 40. Palmer is the only Democratic candidate besides Biden to win delegates and was the only one to campaign in American Samoa.

U.S. House Rep. Dean Phillips suspended his campaign Wednesday after finishing third in his home state of Minnesota behind Biden and uncommitted.