Cyclones in the UFL: Week 5

Sarah Henry/Iowa State Daily
Former Iowa State wide receiver Hakeem Butler prepares himself for a first down during the Iowa State vs. Akron game Sept. 22, 2018 at Jack Trice Stadium.

Hakeem Butler

Highlighted by a pair of explosive touchdown catches, Butler put up a career performance with the St. Louis Battlehawks to help lead the team to a 45-12 victory over the DC Defenders.

The two-year veteran with the Battlehawks started off his day with a 13-yard touchdown catch over the middle, which set the tone for his impactful day. The 27-year-old wideout put St. Louis on the board with this score, which the team held on to thanks to his continued success against the Defenders’ secondary.

Butler’s second touchdown came on an 80-yard strike in the fourth quarter, which saw the former Cyclone snag the ball over a cornerback’s head and outrun the defense into the endzone.

Outside of his two touchdowns, Butler was a threat throughout the entire day. He finished the game with six receptions for 147 yards and two touchdowns.

Through five weeks of action, Butler leads the UFL in receiving yards (344), is third in receptions (25) and is tied with three other players for the most touchdown receptions (3).

Mike Rose

While Butler led the way for the Battlehawks on the offensive side, Rose did the same for the defense which held the Defenders to 163 total yards. To the tune of 10 total tackles, including a tackle for loss, Rose led St. Louis for the most tackles on the day and constantly was making plays Sunday.

After Butler’s touchdown in the fourth quarter to put the Battlehawks up by 20, Rose intercepted a pass down the middle from Jordan Ta’amu, which he returned inside the 10-yard line. Rose now sits with two interceptions on the year, second most in the league, in just three games.

Rose now has 19 total tackles on the year including six solo tackles, picking up right where he left off last season as one of the Battlehawks’ most impactful defenders.

Willie Harvey Jr.

Rose was not the only former Cyclone on the Battlehawks to secure a turnover against the Defenders on Saturday. On the first play of the fourth quarter, Harvey jumped on a loose ball knocked out on a strip sack and recovered his first fumble of the season.

Along with his fumble recovery at the start of the fourth quarter, Harvey also wrapped up three tackles, one of which was a solo tackle. Harvey now sits with 32 total tackles on the season, most of which came against the San Antonio Brahmas, where he had 12 total tackles.