Healthy tips for enjoying spring break

Emily Bishop

Like many students, Delia Moran Portillo can’t wait for spring break and a possible trip to Texas.

Portillo, junior in liberal arts and sciences-open option, said she pays more attention to exercising and nutrition now “because you’re supposed to get in shape for spring break and then comes summer.” Ultimately, the location of a spring break destination also plays a factor.

With spring break near, don’t fall into the trap of trying to make up for lost time by being at the gym 24/7 or trying unhealthy fad diets.

Judy Trumpy, program coordinator for ISU Dining and registered dietitian at the Thielen Student Health Center, reminds students to eat “mindfully.”

“Treat [your body] kindly,” Trumpy said. “Don’t be hard on yourself.”

Trumpy has healthy habit suggestions for spring breakers.

“It doesn’t work short-term to fast,” she said. “You can’t make yourself over in a week.”

Trumpy said to continue eating three meals a day, along with healthy snacks. Packing snacks for a trip can cut down on costs and provide healthy energy on the go. Split meals with someone if going out to eat.

Staying hydrated is also a must, especially if you’re going to be drinking alcohol, Trumpy said, also warning against drinking on an empty stomach.

“You’ll be dehydrated and [have] low levels of nutrients in the bloodstream,” Trumpy said. “Eat before you go [out].”

Ray Rodriguez, health program coordinator at the Thielen Student Health Center, had some guidelines for spring break drinking that can be applied year-round.

“Spring break is often viewed by many people as a mixed drinks holiday,” Rodriguez said.

With this in mind, Rodriguez advises students to be aware that mixed drinks may contain more than one “drink’s” worth of alcohol. He also recommends limiting yourself to between zero and four drinks per day, making sure you are eating as well as alternating alcoholic drinks with water.

“You need food to help slow the absorption of alcohol,” he said.

Rodriguez said that vomiting as a result of drinking is the “body’s way of saying something is really wrong” and that those so afflicted should seek medical attention.

Vomiting occurs as a result of involuntary muscle control possibly affecting the heart rate and bladder, Rodriguez said.

Dehydration and sexual health are other spring break concerns students should be aware of, Rodriguez cautioned. If you’re traveling, cleanliness of water can be a concern. Rodriguez emphasized communication, abstinence and using protection to help maintain sexual health.

You should also look at how exercise habits will affect you in the long term.

Emily Decker, graduate student in kinesiology and fitness specialist for the Student Wellness Center, warns against tricking yourself into exercising as a quick fix for results in time for spring break.

“Typically, if you try to do a quick fix or seek quick results it’s unhealthy and probably won’t last,” Decker said. “Make slow, gradual changes.”

Decker referred to exercise guidelines from the American College of Sports Medicine as “the minimum requirements before jumping into a really intense routine.”

A light cardio routine, including activities such as light jogging, consists of exercising five times a week for 30 minutes. Or, if you want a more intense cardio workout, three periods of 20 minutes of vigorous activity such as a playing basketball per week is suggested.

The ACSM’s guidelines for weight training are two periods a week involving eight to 10 exercises, with eight to 10 reps of each.

Decker emphasized that if consulting a doctor to discuss healthy, realistic goals and to determine if losing weight is even necessary is important if you wish to lose weight.

Exercising during spring break can sometimes be challenging if you’re traveling, but Decker has tips.

“Trying to do as much walking as you can is going to be really helpful,” she said.

Decker suggests doing bicep curls with a bottle of water, using your judgment to determine how heavy the bottle should be. Resistance cards and therapy bands can also be used for bicep curls and other weight exercises, Decker said.

Further information

If you would like help in creating a fitness plan, call the fitness testing and consultation at the Student Wellness Center at 294-1868.

Safe Spring Break on Campus

March 10-12

Handouts, etc. available at the UDCC and the Memorial Union