ISU Police continue book theft investigation

Kyle Miller

This semester, eight cases of textbook theft have been cleared by ISU Police and linked to an ISU student, said ISU Police Cmdr. Gene Deisinger.

Deisinger said the most recently reported textbook theft, which occurred Jan. 21 but was reported to ISU Police on Feb. 8, has been linked to Andrew K. Lehman, sophomore in civil engineering, after the owner of the book came forward and correctly identified the book in question.

Seven other textbook theft cases have been attributed to Lehman, Deisinger said. An investigation is still ongoing.

Lehman did not return phone messages left Tuesday evening.

Lehman was arrested following a police sting operation in Parks Library on Jan. 31. After a consent warrant was served, 21 textbooks were recovered at Lehman’s residence. Lehman is currently free on pretrial release, and a preliminary hearing date is set for Feb. 18.

“We’ve cleared nine cases with that arrest,” Deisinger said.

Deisinger said it is not unusual to see a rash of textbook thefts at the beginning and end of a semester because of the opportunity to sell them during buyback periods.

He said the most common places where thefts of books, laptops, iPods and bags take place are the Parks Library and the Memorial Union. Thefts also often occur at the Lied Recreation Athletic Center and residence halls.

“The library, historically, [is where thefts occur] because it is such a large place,” he said. “And there are so many people there.”

Deisinger said students can protect themselves from these “crimes of opportunity” by simply being aware that there are people who won’t hesitate to steal property. Reporting stolen property early can also raise the chances of retrieval, he said.

“I think [students] should keep in mind that there are people out there who will take your belongings if they’re not attended,” he said. “So be careful about what you take with you in terms of its value. We encourage people not to leave property unattended.”

If a student is caught with stolen items or other infractions, there are two punitive measures that occur. Deisinger said a fine could be levied against the defendant in accordance with the total amount stolen. Fines could start at $250, he said.

Punishment is not always monetary, however, said Michelle Boettcher, interim director of judicial affairs.

“When the amount of the theft is less than $1,000, [a fine is usually levied],” she said. “But our ultimate goal is student education.”

When a student is caught in a minor infraction, the judicial affairs staff meets with the student to clarify why he or she committed the crime. Dismissal of a student for a minor offense is uncommon, she said.

“We want them to get ahead of the situation and become stronger for the future,” she said. “We try to have the student learn from the experience.”