Panel members discuss variety of ag topics

Nimota Nasiru

Agriculture plays a substantial role in many Iowans’ lives, and its evolution is being taken to the next step – both on small rural farms and in the Legislature. This was the main idea Tuesday night in the Curtiss Hall Auditorium.

Jerry Perkins, the Des Moines Register’s farm editor, moderated a panel meeting in the Curtiss Hall auditorium Tuesday night. The panel answered questions set forth by the packed audience hall on the future of agriculture in Iowa.

A number of topics were placed forth for discussion including research on harmful bacteria found in food products; the need for connection between farmers and lawmakers; and productive agricultural issues that are being pushed in the Legislature.

The panel included Aaron Putze, executive director and public relations officer for the Coalition to Support Iowa’s Farmers; Jerry DeWitt, director of the Leopold Center for Sustainable Agriculture and professor of entomology; David Johnson, Iowa state senator; and Kevin Miskell, vice president of the Iowa Farmers Union.

One issue brought up by the panel was research being conducted on the 32 million pounds of beef recalled last year and byproducts of E. coli and ethanol found in food. Some suggestions on the matter included instituting a strict policy against middle-class farmers and producers who distribute tainted products and learning more about how to handle these very important topics.

“We need more science, more data, to see where we are going on this one,” Johnson said.

Another topic that was brought up was bridging the gap between the agriculture and farming sector and the public.

The current manner in bringing this needed change about is hosting a ribbon-cutting ceremony at new farms to build the connection between the consumer and producer. Miskell said this would allow “people to have knowledge on how things are produced, which builds trust.”

On the legislative side, Johnson said there has been a lot of initiative shown in making water and soil conservation top priorities. For instance, the Department of Natural Resources has recently launched a study in Northwest Iowa on how to conserve water more effectively.

“I think we will see more appropriations on the state level to complement programs on the federal level,” Johnson said.

The panel of top leaders in Iowa agriculture urged students to plan for summer internships, take business classes and get to know professors and industry representatives in order to become the needed leaders in the Iowa agriculture sector.

“Think outside the box, dream and be aggressive,” DeWitt said.

Erik Christian, graduate student in agronomy, said the panel took about six months to assemble and is pleased with the results of the evening.

“I think they bring a lot of good insights on the future of agriculture,” Christian said.