Balanced living beats fad diets over time

Emily Bishop

Although people are relentlessly bombarded with a flow of advertisements trying to get them on this or that diet or weight loss program, it is likely best to focus on actually living more healthily.

Judy Trumpy, registered dietitian for the Thielen Student Health Center, recommends staying away from the scale and focusing on living a healthy lifestyle.

“The best measure is how you feel,” Trumpy said. “Change habits to feel better – get rid of that sluggish way of feeling.”

Trumpy does not recommend fad diets such as the Atkins diet, cabbage diet or soup diet. Some may experience short-term results from these diets, but they usually will not last long.

The reason the results of these diets are so limited is that water weight is lost, not fat stores, she said.

“It’s not going to be easy to go on a fad diet and restrict,” Trumpy said. “You can’t tolerate restricting that much.”

Trumpy said she doesn’t recommend falling into the trap of cutting out carbohydrates because, although this strategy may be successful in the beginning, the results will not be long-term and restricting carbohydrates can create a lack of energy.

Fasting, or not eating food, is “too drastic and doesn’t have adequate nutrition,” she said.

Trumpy also advises students to avoid unrealistic celebrity diets.

Kate Kleinwort, sophomore in food science, does not believe fad diets are healthy and tries to ignore them.

“To diet, you need to change how you eat for the rest of your life for it to last,” Kleinwort said.

Joselin Baray-Alvarado, junior in civil engineering, said eating fruits and vegetables and exercising are more important than fad diets.

“I think diets hurt you more than they help you,” Baray said. “A lot of times they don’t work.”

Trumpy advises not skipping breakfast in an effort to be healthy.

“Set your alarm 10 minutes early to eat something or take something with you – a protein bar, yogurt or low-fat chocolate milk,” Trumpy said.

Get into the habit of eating moderately by eating two to three food groups at each meal, along with small snacks. Making small changes, such as cutting down on pop and eating out, can contribute to feeling better, Trumpy added.

“Hunger is one of those ways we know we need to refuel,” Trumpy said. “Eat a mixed diet of adequate portions and do movement.”

Instead of spending hours exercising at the gym, Trumpy suggests incorporating movement into your daily routine. Do things you enjoy and will keep up, such as dancing or walking to class daily.

Trumpy advised students to “start looking at oneself in a better light.”

“Don’t look at yourself negatively,” she said. “Be kind to yourself.”

For more additional information, contact the Student Wellness Center for nutrition counseling or to work with a fitness specialist.