Diwali festivities light up Great Hall

Nimota Nasiru

Bright lights and elaborate decorations adorned the Great Hall on Sunday evening in celebration of the Indian New Year’s holiday, Diwali.

Diwali, translated as “Festival of Light,” celebrates the “victory of divine forces over those of wickedness.” In India, Diwali ends with a fireworks performance by members of every family.

“Diwali marks the beginning of the new year in India,” said Ankit Patel, web developer for the Indian Students’ Association and sophomore in computer engineering. “It’s a time for family and friends to come together and celebrate.”

The celebration, which was hosted by the ISA, began with a candle lighting ceremony led by the first elected Indian-American state legislator, Rep. Swati Dandekar, D-Marion, who is serving her third term. She spoke about how hospitable Iowans have been since she first arrived in Iowa 30 years ago.

“Iowans are very progressive people,” Dandekar said. “My advice to everyone is to get out of your comfort zone and try to find out what your neighbors are doing; you will find out they have similar aspirations and values as you do. Share your heritage and culture with them.”

The celebration continued with a singing performance by Ambica Nakhasi, student at the University of Iowa. The song was a traditional Hindustani classic by mystical Hindu poetess Mirabai, which expresses her utmost devotion and love for Lord Krishna.

The audience of about 500 clapped and cheered for numerous Bollywood fusion dances, musical plays and classical folk dances that took place throughout the evening. They were treated to authentic Indian meals and beverages, which included Tandoori chicken, Naan (Indian bread), chickpeas curry and mango lassi (a beverage).

“The whole idea of this event is to introduce Diwali to the ISU and Ames communities and educate people about our culture. It’s a vibrant form of culture that is celebrated in all parts of India,” said Satyam Bhuyan, public relations officer for ISA and graduate student in mechanical engineering.

Anurag Sharda, ISA president and graduate student in computer science, said the festival is not just for Hindus.

“It’s more of togetherness and festivities – it’s not just for Hindus or any other religions,” Sharda said.

Ritika Sahai, ISA secretary and freshman in electrical engineering, said she was pleased with the event.

“I’m happy the event has turned out very well. The supportive audience has made it into the big event we want it to be,” Sahai said.