Congress kills DREAM, professors protest

Nimota Nasiru

Keeping the dream alive – a concept achingly familiar to those who have been fighting for the past four years for the chance to legally live the American dream.

The DREAM Act, which stands for the Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors, is a legislative bill that has been denied by Congress. The bill was supposed to be a means for children of illegal immigrants to become legal citizens if they were born out of the country – if they were born in the country, they would get citizenship by default.

To be eligible, the child must have entered the United States before age 16, possess a “good moral character,” and be either a high school graduate or hold a general education degree.

If the DREAM Act were passed, students who fit the criteria would be eligible for student grants and other financial aid options that would make attaining a higher education or enlisting in the military possible.

“There is no political support for anything having to do with ‘illegal’ people in the U.S., whether old or young,” said Steffen Schmidt, university professor of political science.

He said because of lingering emotions surrounding the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and the general concern behind keeping illegal workers from competing for jobs with Americans to keep salaries low, “politicians are not in the mood to legalize anybody.”

The late October rejection of the bill has left some supporters, such as Patricia Hamm, assistant professor of political science, skeptical that the DREAM Act will be passed this year or during next year’s elections.

Hamm is fairly certain a great deal of backing will be necessary to keep the bill at the forefront.

“In any case, regardless of who wins the 2008 presidential election, to pass any immigration legislation needs the strong support of a bipartisan coalition of liberals and conservatives in the U.S. Congress who are pro-immigrant and favor trade, agriculture and business,” Hamm said.

Loreto Prieto, director of liberal arts and sciences cross disciplinary studies, feels that with the contributions Latino/a immigrants have provided to the United States over the decades, Congress’ focus should be more on the positive effect this bill could have rather than on personal feelings.

“My hope is that because this [bill] is about education and making sure that those of us here in the U.S. are able to keep step with other countries across the world with the education of our children and the productivity of our future, workforce and labor, that we look with a more broad and accepting eye toward a legislation like this,” Prieto said.