Pep rally celebrates 150 years

Linsey Lubinus

As dusk fell, the moon came out and the 7 p.m. chime of the Campanile was drowned in the screams of contestants for Homecoming event Yell Like Hell.

At the preceding pep rally Friday evening on Central Campus, the marching band played, cheerleaders and dance team danced, some of the ISU sports teams introduced themselves and the final Yell Like Hell skits were judged.

“How many years? A hundred and fifty! How many years? A hundred and fifty!” chanted one of the Yell Like Hell teams from the skit “150 Years and Counting,” based on the theme, which was celebration of Iowa State’s 150th birthday.

Kappa Alpha Theta, Beta Sigma Psi, Kappa Sigma, and Alpha Sigma Kappa won the overall Yell Like Hell contest with the skit “Everyone Expects Big Things”. Awards were also given for storefront window decorations, tournaments, painting Victory Lane, banners, community service, lawn displays and the Yell Like Hell skits.

Their skit, “150 Years and Counting,” featured people painted in yellow and red with their hands painted white and their eyes and mouths accented with white. The ghost of George Washington Carver and a painted version of football coach Gene Chizik also appeared on the stage amid cheers and chants for Iowa State.

The cheers and screams continued near the steps of Curtiss Hall when the trophies were handed out at 11 p.m.

“A lot of hard work . it’s nice coming away with great confidence and great memories,” said Benjamin Olson, sophomore in pre-business, amid the cheers, screams and laughter from others in the group.

The Yell Like Hell contest was only part of the pep rally. The ISU dance team and cheer squad also made a visit and danced to the band while Cy walked around in a referee jersey.

“Basically [we just try to] get them excited for [the game] tomorrow . a little more confident,” said Stephanie Walker, freshman in apparel merchandising, design and production.

The football team seniors made an appearance onstage, as did Cyclones Hockey.

“The student body at this school, when we go out on the field on game day, you guys are unbelievable. You make a lot of noise, you stay there, regardless of what happens in the game and I want to thank you very much,” Chizik said.

Wider receiver Todd Blythe, place-kicker Bret Culbertson, and quarterback Bret Meyer thanked the crowd and encouraged them to come to the game.

“This is our last go-around, and we wouldn’t want to spend it in any other stadium, with any other team, in front of any other crowd,” Culbertson said.

The Homecoming king and queen were crowned on that stage. Luke Johanson, senior in civil engineering, and Kimberly Kiraly, senior in family and consumer science education and studies, were named from a group of six called the Cardinal Court.