Flu shot, mist most effective in fighting virus

Emily Bishop

The season of coughing, aching and sore throats is approaching.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Web site, 5 percent to 20 percent of the U.S. population contracts influenza each year.

An array of options are available to fight the flu, such as the flu shot or the flu mist for those who aren’t fond of needles, said Marc Shulman, staff physician with the Thielen Student Health Center.

“The immunizations are pretty effective,” he said.

Shulman said the flu is a respiratory illness and can last seven to 10 days.

Ray Rodriguez, program coordinator with the Thielen Student Health Center, wants students to know the benefits of immunizations against the flu.

“There’s a lot of misinformation out there,” he said.

Rodriguez said the flu shot or mist is effective. Sometimes people get the flu after they’ve had the immunization because they were sick to begin with.

Rodriguez said students think there’s no reason to get the immunization, but the flu spreads because of students living in close quarters in residence halls or apartments.

Students will have the opportunity to get the flu immunizations during the event, “Fright the Flu,” on Oct. 29 though Oct. 31. The flu shot and mist will be offered at a different location each day – either the Maple-Willow-Larch dining center, the Memorial Union or the Union Drive Community Center. No preregistration is required, and the cost can be charged to a student’s U-Bill or insurance.

The event was started last year by the Thielen Student Health Center.

“We’re tired of seeing sick students,” Rodriguez said.

An advantage of the flu mist is that it lasts a month longer than the flu shot, which lasts four to four-and-a-half months, Rodriguez said.

Rodriguez also said the flu mist, which is sprayed up the nose, has better protective qualities because the mist has “weakened virus in it, so your body has a stronger immune response.”

There are many things you do to help prevent the flu, Rodriguez said.

Washing your hands, covering your mouth when you cough and your nose when you sneeze and eating healthy, as well as not drinking a lot of alcohol are tips Rodriguez offered to prevent the flu.

“Keep yourself rested,” Schulman said. “Keep hydrated and in good shape.”

James Rendall, junior in mechanical engineering, has been lucky – he’s never had the flu.

“I’ve never worried about it too much,” Rendall said.

Most people are not as fortunate, and luckily, Rodriguez has a tip on how to feel better if you do get stuck with the flu.

“One of the best things you can do is eat chicken soup,” Rodriguez said.