Happiness comes from lifestyle — not money, friends

Emily Bishop

The whirlwind of college life can take its toll on any student, yet it’s important to take some time to enjoy life.

Marty Martinez, staff psychologist for Student Counseling Services, said happiness has more to do with being than doing.

Martinez described happiness as a continuum with being happy (momentary or temporary pleasure) at one end and meaningful lasting joy at the other end.

He compared happiness to the walls and roof of a house and joy as the foundation that holds the walls together and creates balance.

Martinez said it’s better not to be overly conscious of trying to be happy.

“When people stop focusing on themselves and onto others, [you] start to focus on what you can share or give,” Martinez said. “You get your mind off the past and all the reasons you should be sad and angry.”

Martinez said research has shown that having a friendship or a good job doesn’t bring long-term happiness.

Instead, Martinez said, “they allow you to show your joy,” when you are with others or working.

“True happiness is not something that you do,” Martinez said. “It’s something you become and live out.”

If you’re feeling lonely or experiencing homesickness, Martinez suggests journalizing or hanging out with someone, whether it’s with a roommate or a group of people. He encourages you to “try and make a connection.”

Lamar Allen, senior in political science, said listening to music or hanging out with friends helps put him in a better mood.

“I just stay busy,” he said.

Forgiveness and having a higher faith plays a significant part in a person’s happiness, Martinez said.

“Forgiveness is a very powerful tool to allow you to be happy,” Martinez said.

Molly McDermott, senior in industrial engineering, said it takes too much energy to hold a grudge.

Martinez said if there are things in your life you can’t let go of, counseling can help you overcome them.

“Forgiveness says what you did wasn’t OK, but I’m not going to let it impact me any more,” Martinez said. “The significance of having a higher cause or faith has been shown in research and my clinical experience to provide the essence of that foundation of joy – or true happiness.”

If you feel like your efforts aren’t working, Martinez said it can be a sign something deeper is going on, such as depression.

Martinez recommends talking to someone you trust such as a counselor or pastor.

“They’re trained to look deeper at what’s going on,” he said. “Clinical depression is something beyond a person’s control. Something is going on inside of you that needs to be healed.”

Martinez encourages students to come to the Student Counseling Center if they have questions about happiness.