Facebook drives social addiction

Emily Bishop

With Facebook getting new members every day, it could be hard to give it up or even trying to cut back. Even professors are beginning to join.

Barbara Mack, attorney and associate professor of journalism and communication, has had a Facebook account for more than a year and uses it as a handy way to keep in touch with graduated students.

Like students, Mack enjoys reading people’s walls and spends about an hour-and-a-half a week on Facebook.

“Facebook is a great way to see what’s going on in their lives that they want to share,” Mack said. “I’ve found out about new babies, new jobs.”

Mack was amazed to learn approximately a dozen out of

320 students in her Journalism 101 class do not use Facebook daily.

“I think students can very quickly become addicted to it,” Mack said.

Some students have been able to walk away – at least for a while.

For Lent this year, Patricia Rew, junior in public service and administration in agriculture, decided to give up Facebook.

A user since the summer before her freshman year, Rew decided to steer clear of Facebook because she felt her time could be spent in a better way. In the beginning, it was difficult for Rew to suddenly cut out Facebook because checking it was part of her daily routine.

Despite not using her account during Lent, notifications were sent to her e-mail because she forgot to change the settings, making them difficult to ignore. Regardless of these temptations, Rew made it through the period Facebook-free.

“I got more things done, but I found more ways to distract myself,” Rew said.

Since Facebook began in 2004, it has become a staple for students to use, whether it’s updating profiles or the thrill of changing relationship status. However, there comes a point when Facebook can be more of a problem than a hobby, especially if it is affecting priorities and causing a lack of communication with the outside world.

Michael Bugeja, director of the Greenlee School of Journalism and Communication, said in an e-mail the importance of using Facebook is “a means to get in touch with people but not to interact with them.”

Bugeja said interpersonal skills in society across all ages are dwindling as a result of too much time using cell phones, laptops and iPods, which he refers to as “consumer technology.”

“Facebook provides a platform in keeping with students’ tech habits – socializing, networking, friending, etc.,” Bugeja said. “It’s visual, interactive and has news feeds that serve as digital gossip.”

Bugeja encourages students to interact face-to-face rather than virtually.

Indria Jenkins, academic consultant for the Academic Student Success Center and graduate student in psychology, recommends using Facebook as a reward. For example, you could study for a couple hours and then take a break to go on Facebook.

Other tips include setting time limits with a timer and being aware of your environmental settings. If you’re going to be tempted by having your laptop, don’t have it with you, or use it as a reward after you’ve completed some of your work.

Jenkins pointed out that students should set practical goals in helping to limit Facebook time, but what may work for someone may not work for another.

“The main thing is setting limits for yourself and prioritizing,” Jenkins said. “Try to find ways that are going to work for you.”

Maybe students should take a hint from Joseph Gebelein, senior in biology, who does not have Facebook.

“I’m trying to study, not mess around,” Gebelein said.