Day two of the NCAA Championships sees a pair Cyclones earn All-American honors

Iowa State then-redshirt sophomore Jarrett Degen takes on South Dakota State junior Henry Pohlmeyer as a part of the 149-pound weight class during the third period of their match at Hilton Coliseum on Feb. 1. Degen won the match up. The Iowa State wrestling team won 47-0 against South Dakota State.

Zane Douglas

Going into Friday, Iowa State had all nine of its NCAA Tournament qualifiers still in their respective brackets, with the majority of them in the consolations, but by Friday evening only four remained.

The remaining four needed wins in order to earn the title of All-American.

At 133-pounds, redshirt freshman Austin Gomez faced a rematch with No. 7 Austin DeSanto of Iowa. Earlier in the season, Gomez defeated DeSanto by 14-9 decision. On Friday, he had no such luck as he lost by 16-5 major decision.

Redshirt sophomore Jarrett Degen had more success than Gomez. The 149-pound Degen defeated No. 13 Anthony Artalona of Pennsylvania to earn him the title of All-American. Degen was Iowa State’s only NCAA qualifier in 2018.

At 184-pounds, redshirt sophomore Samuel Colbray was perhaps the closest to reaching the semifinals, but he fell to No. 15 Chip Ness of North Carolina which sent him to the consolation bracket and jeopardized his All-American hopes. In a must-win situation, Colbray wasn’t able to top No. 4 Emery Parker of Illinois and was defeated by 5-2 decision.

Finally, at 197-pounds, redshirt senior Willie Miklus wrestled in what could have been his last collegiate bout. He faced No. 8 Nathan Traxler of Stanford and earned his fourth All-American honors after he defeated Traxler by pin.

Later in the evening, Degen and Miklus saw the mat again.

Degen was defeated later by No. 4 Brock Mauller of Missouri to move him into the seventh-place match on Sunday.

Miklus took down No. 9 Ben Hommis of Cornell to force a rematch in the consolation semifinals against No. 3 Preston Wiegel of Oklahoma State who beat him in the Big 12 Tournament final.

The action will pick up for its final day on Sunday with Degen and Miklus set to finish up the Cyclone wrestling season.